wor chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason1414

Reaction score
Is there a different way to make a wort chiller other than submersible? I know the chiller plate helps but it looks like you still need to have the coiled copper pipes. I would like to avoid copper pipes if at all possible. Any tips?

Stainless? ?
You can make a Counter Flow Chiller...
Frozen water bottles...
Ice? Properly sanitized by boiling water and freezing on air tight container...

It is not clear what you want to avoid here... Is it the submersion part or the copper part?
You could get a stainless immersion chiller if copper is the issue. Or a plate chiller or counterflow chiller if you want it out of the pot. Or even give 'no chill' a try.

If this is a fear of copper I might remind you that many of the pipes in your house that will carry the water to your tap and appliances are probably copper...

Copper wont hurt you, there is a reason almost all wort chillers use it, copper transfers exceptionally well and the health risk is almost 0%. I don't have the exact link, but I remember reading that the copper oxide that is introduced from the chiller can actually help fermentation as well.

I have changed all my pipes in my home. I am not scared of Copper its the price that bothers me. I have an extremely tight budget. If i can't avoid it then i can't avoid it but i was curious about other options.

You are looking into the wrong hobby, budgets and homebrewing don't mix well. :tank:

In all seriousness, how much are you willing to spend on a chiller? What's your overall brewing budget?

I have changed all my pipes in my home. I am not scared of Copper its the price that bothers me. I have an extremely tight budget. If i can't avoid it then i can't avoid it but i was curious about other options.

Anything that you can use is going to be more expensive than copper and will not transfer heat as well.

A plate chiller does not use a submerged coil.

For a mechanical chiller, without getting into Glycol or refrigeration your only other option is a counterflow chiller. Your options are copper (cheaper) or stainless steel... (expensive!)

No chill if you have patience. Otherwise I would freeze water bottles and dip in sanitizer right before you throw them in your wort. I would let it cool for an hour or so first, otherwise it probably won't be as effective and you might split the bottles.

Small batches you could probably put the whole kettle into an ice bath.

Stainless is the only other option. You only need 20 or so feet of it to adequately do the job. Hell even 10 feet of it is better than nothing. Look around for deals or coupons to hardware/box stores and build your own. I used 20 feet of copper from Lowes and two washing machine hose fittings I already had. Cheap. The only thing cheaper is just using ice and a water bath in your sink, but it takes more time obviously.

Stainless is the only other option. You only need 20 or so feet of it to adequately do the job. Hell even 10 feet of it is better than nothing. Look around for deals or coupons to hardware/box stores and build your own. I used 20 feet of copper from Lowes and two washing machine hose fittings I already had. Cheap. The only thing cheaper is just using ice and a water bath in your sink, but it takes more time obviously.

Stainless steel is quite a bit more inefficient in heat transfer than copper.

The length of tubing required depends on many factors. For my 5 gallon batches I use two 20 ft. coils.

In the winter when the water is cold I can use both in the wort. In the summer when the water is warm I put one in a bucket of cold water and chill until the wort gets under 100 degrees then I add ice to the cooling water. It still takes twice as long as in the winter.

If a copper IC is too expensive for the OP, using ice in some way it his only option.

Copper is safe, potentially provides necessary nutrients for fermentation and readily available. It also is an excellent conductor. Yes, it's not cheap but it is cheaper than stainless and more readily available. If the concern is cost, then you should consider an ice bath for your brew kettle or look into no chill/slow chill methods. Cheers.

Stainless steel is quite a bit more inefficient in heat transfer than copper.

Agreed, but for the record I don't buy that there is a practical difference in efficacy based on the designs used. There is no way a material difference in performance can be observed based on material that is only about 1mm thick.

having grabbed a handle of a boiling stainless and a boiling aluminum pot I can tell you that the aluminum transferred the heat better...to my hand...

I made my own copper immersion chiller for about $30. Pretty simple do to and I don't think your going to get much cheaper.

having grabbed a handle of a boiling stainless and a boiling aluminum pot I can tell you that the aluminum transferred the heat better...to my hand...

It's certainly a better conductor. I won't argue that. But saying stainless is considerably worse than copper on a distance <1mm is as absurd as saying Usain Bolt is considerably faster than me in a 1 meter race. The distance is simply to small to show a huge difference.

Just used a copper immersion chiller for the first time. Amazing! No more waiting for HOURS to pitch yeast!

I had a homemade copper immersion chiller, but left it outside overnight during a freeze and it burst in several places

between the time I built it and then, the $ of copper rose considerably, so my original $25 coil would cost almost 2x to replace. So I went no-chill for a while

imagine my surprise when I tasted my first bitter bomb after not accounting for the increase in hop utilization from flameout additions

so I get what OP is saying

luckily, someone in my brew club upgraded to plate and let me have his old copper chiller for $25

so, I suggest OP check with local brew clubs, ebay and craigslist

GOOD LUCK!

full disclosure: I've gotten so much used equipment from brew club buddies it's not funny. TWO full-size refrigerators (1 to hold beer for drinking, the other is my ferment chamber), a mini fridge, bottles, a wing capper, buckets, carboys

& that's just the FREE stuff!

I get a lot of stuff free too. I got a kegerator and a keggle for free. All I did was make a post on Facebook asking if anybody was selling either of those items. My friends are bros.

I have a stainless immersion chiller off craigslist. Works fine but I am wanting to shorten my brew day further and a counterflow chiller looks to be what I want. What are the pros and cons of building vs buying? Should they chill at about the same rate given the same length and tube/hose sizes? I was looking at some fancy ones online with valves and thermometers already in place.

My budget isnt tiny and i have been doing a pretty good job brewing on a budget i am just now stepping it up a notch and was just looking for alternatives if copper is the cheapest then copper it is. I have been using ice baths just wanted to step up. Thanks all for the input

You will be amazed at how quickly an immersion chiller works by comparison to an ice bath. Even a short 20 footer will knock the majority of the heat out of it within 10-15 minutes even if you groundwater is warm like mine is. I can usually get to the 80s pretty quickly and then I just throw it in the ferm fridge to chill that last few degrees to pitching temp.

Back