Wooden Mash Paddle or SS Wire Whisk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewGuy44

Reaction score
Has anybody used a 24" SS wire whisk for stirring their mash and does it work better than a wooden paddle with holes in it? I am looking into getting one or the other and thought I would ask to get some opinions on the subject.

Never used a SS mash paddle but the wooden ones feel great in your hands. Seems more traditional I guess. Plus they look cool.

Is the wire whisk stiff enough to stir up a thick mash? I made my wooden mash paddle out of an oak branch that I picked up in my back yard!

A small mash would work with a wisk I think. The bigger you get, the tougher time you'd have with it.

I abondoned the mash paddle a long time ago. It's all about the paint/mortar mixer! Mixing by hand is a serious chore. Helps my efficiency too.

357-1214789334581-big.jpg

I used the big heavy duty 24" wisk. It worked but the handle came unglued from the heat. I now use a big 36" spoon.

I use a wire whip that I bought from Rebel Brewer. Others have bought similar items from restaurant supply stores. What you real need is the ability to break up dough balls when you mash in. With the whip I just push down on the dough balls and twist the wrist. Dough balls fall apart. I have never used a wooden mash paddle, but I have use the plastic paddles. I will never go back to a paddle. The whip works great. I hope this helps. Mark.

Back