Mash paddle decision

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Literally, never.
It was transformative, and I bet I'm not alone...

Cheers!
Thanks! Like I said, I've read about it, but I know enough to not rely entirely on what I read online. Prior to my injury I detested cliches, but since it I've ended up having to follow a great many such as; "Hope for the best. prepare for the worst." Hence having a large whisk on my Eternal Shopping List in case I encounter doughballs.

Do you never get doughballs with underletting?
Haven't had any dough balls in years. I do underlet slowly, not wide open. I stir/mix once, after completing covering the grain, let the grain hydrate for 10 minutes, then start the RIMS. Slowly at first, then work up to wide open. Never disturb the grain bed again, unless I'm decoting.

Didn't know about the strike temp benefit. I always thought I've been using my system so long, I was getting good at hitting the the strike temp. Another benefit, you can add another step to join the low oxygen brewing 😛.

Last edited:
Dough balls are less of an issue if one doughs in below gel temps. under or overlet. I underlet in the low 140's with the 10 min rest before recirc. My choice is the wooden mash paddle over the whisk as it disturbs less (yes, low oxygen nerd).

Last edited:
@day_trippr ; I'm still slowly building my 3V rig and have been planning for underletting as SOP as I've read many accounts suggesting that it's best for both strike temp stability as well as doughball elimination. I've only tried it once on a test batch in which my vessels were spread across my kitchen and my incomplete controllers were 'breadboarded' with screws, staples and tin-ties on wooden boards. It takes me a long time to make theoretical learning into empirical practice, so to hedge my bets I've been meaning to buy a really big whisk as I've seen successfully used on here. Do you never get doughballs with underletting?
@fluketamer let us know how that works out. In your opinion, would it be possible to extend the handle length on that whisk with some tubing or pipe and not have it wobble apart at the union? I ask because of spinal issues and for my own ergonomics, I'd try and get a much longer handle.
Thanks Friends/Mentors! :mug:
yeah i think it wouldnt be an issue to slip a brass pipe over it or even maybe rigid pvc

I have a nice custom paddle my wife gave me. It sits in the corner with spider webs on it. I also have a huge whisk. When I started underletting, the dough balls stopped. I used to dump dry grain to my strike water and would stir like a fool. Underletting changed my mash life. No issues when my grain is for a 20g batch. I’ll never go back

Literally, never.
It was transformative, and I bet I'm not alone...

Cheers!
i tried this last week and you are right it is game changing. there is no stirring involved. i just moved my whisk up and down once or twice in a couple of spots after the water came up through the bottom of the grain and it was thoroughly mixed . no change in efficiency. much much less work and less mess etc.

im not even sure if the whisk was necessary there were no dough balls at all.

thanks

I do recommend a brief stir just to equalize the temperature bottom to top...

Cheers!

after ten minutes i took apart the top and gave it a little bit of the 'up and down" not sure if it did anything it was nice and porridgy/soupy not clumpy.

on the sister site one of the posters swears by stirring the mash every 5-10 minutes for the first 20 minutes or so for conversion than leaving it for the vorlaffing or whatever thats called where you try to clear the wort by filtering it throguht the grain bred. im still not sure of all the AG terms as an AIO really is a little cheating where you dont have to know everything on a lot of these machines and just plug and play . --- uh - oh.

What is the process for underletting? Are you guys using a AOI system or multiple vessels? I can see if you have separate vessels for heating up liquor and then a mash tun but in an AOI I'm not sure how this would work....

I can't speak for the AOI systems but I have four vessels in my brew system. The mash tun has a set of slotted pipes, a manifold located on bottom. "Underletting" means the hot water from the HLT is added to the mash tun under the grain bed via the manifold. The idea is hot water us slowing added, button up so there's less chance of dough balls.

In my case the mash tun is insulated, when the hot water enters from the bottom I typically don't need to stir the mash. I still use my mash paddle but mostly to stir in the brew kettle.

Potato Masher
IMG_8303.jpeg

What is the process for underletting? Are you guys using a AOI system or multiple vessels? I can see if you have separate vessels for heating up liquor and then a mash tun but in an AOI I'm not sure how this would work....
you dont pump the water up through the grain bed like traditional underletting in a 3v system. you lower a dry grain bed into a container of preheated strike water.

the two advantages i have noticed with this in an aio are:

1 i dont have to ad and stir as i go which was a pain. and
2 absolutely no dough balls. th weight of the grain seems to cause the water to gradually flow up evenly throguh the grain. its pretty much all wet by the time the basket fully sinks to the bottom and the water comes up to the top of the grain bed. dont rush it . last time i just gave it a mashing up and down a little but it didnt seem to need that . it was more for my own assurance i think.

in any case much less effort than stirring out dough balls when i use 8 lbs of grain or more.

What is the process for underletting? Are you guys using a AOI system or multiple vessels?
I have a 3v system, RIMS. I have a hose which sits on top of the grain bed when I recirculate. I just let that hose lay on top of the false bottom (I have water underneath the false bottom area, keeps the grain from falling through), put the grain on top of the hose/false bottom and start filling. As the water rises, it pushes all the air pockets/bubbles out. Don't stir the grain bed until it is fully submerged/covered. Once you are fully load all your water, give it a quick stir and your good to go.

The large breweries have a hydrator system. It sprays the grain as it is being dropped into the mash tun, which has some water already in it, while the mash paddle is turning.

Last edited:
you dont pump the water up through the grain bed like traditional underletting in a 3v system. you lower a dry grain bed into a container of preheated strike water.
absolutely no dough balls. th weight of the grain seems to cause the water to gradually flow up evenly throguh the grain. its pretty much all wet by the time the basket fully sinks to the bottom and the water comes up to the top of the grain bed. dont rush it .
I'd never heard about the advantage of underletting preventing dough balls until this thread. I'll be doing my first BIAB batch next week. I plan to lower the grain bag into the heated strike water and hope to take advantage of this effect. You mention "dont rush it". From your experience, do you think I should lower the grain bag very slowly, or let it sink into the water at its own pace?

the two advantages i have noticed with this in an aio are:

1 i dont have to ad and stir as i go which was a pain. and
2 absolutely no dough balls. th weight of the grain seems to cause the water to gradually flow up evenly throguh the grain. its pretty much all wet by the time the basket fully sinks to the bottom and the water comes up to the top of the grain bed. dont rush it . last time i just gave it a mashing up and down a little but it didnt seem to need that . it was more for my own assurance i think.

in any case much less effort than stirring out dough balls when i use 8 lbs of grain or more.

I vote "very slowly" as likely to give the most consistently excellent results :)

Cheers!
I just finished the brew day - submerged the grain bag very slowly - no doughballs at all. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back