Wooden Barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rswear

Reaction score
So one of the banner adds is for used bourbon barrels at Woodinville distillery not far from where I live.
They say these can be used for aging beer? Anyone do this?
I was just wondering if Bourbon Barrel Porter could be made in one of these instead of the wood chips?
Can you sanitize a wooden barrel?

Yep, you can use stuff like this to clean it out. Just make sure that you read up on barrels before buying one. You'll want to keep it full of liquid to prevent it from drying out and cracking. They can also harbor bacteria in the wood, so it's important to make sure you clean them properly. If you read the description in the link I gave you, it has the process of cleaning and sanitizing used and new barrels.

What Tero said!!! You can also get barrels from Golden Distillery on Samish Island. They carry 10g barrels that work great for individual homebrewers.
Home - Golden Distillery

For a group you can also purchase 55g used whiskey barrels from Dry Fly Distillery in Spokane Wa.

I have a full 55gal barrel from Buffalo Trace. I aged a Black Imperial IPA in it and it is great be Carefull cause the flavor can get intence I only had it int the barrel for two weeks and it is great

I was thinking of a 5g to use as a secondary. Maybe get some of the bourbon that was aged in it to put back in. Good to know about the 2 weeks. I would have been inclined to leave it a while longer.

Back