Woodchuck Barrel Select Reserve Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealrsr

Reaction score
I can't find much of anything on this one, either here or thru google.

Tired it for the first time recently and fell in love. So the brewer in me took over given its a limited release product.

Wanted a high abv so...
4 gallons Musselmans Fresh Press Apple Juice (26g/8 fl oz) dumped in carboy
2# Dark Brown Sugar and one tsp Vietnamese cinnamon melted in .5 gal of same juice then added, temps were kept very low.

Safale us-05 with yeast nutrient in 1 cup water starter.

One more .5 gal of juice to backsweeten, or a can of frozen concentrate (woodchuck brand is sweet to me). The apple needs to be noticeable for mesh with the oak/vanilla/bourbon based on my taste.

No barrels here so after primary fermentation I will rack onto 1 oz. French oak chips soaked for a week in Buffalo Trace Kentucky Bourbon. Test/taste and do a second week with new chips if more character desired.

Once bourbon/oak established will rack to a keg, pot sorbate to stop fermentation, co2 purge keg & cap, wait 48 hours in fridge, backsweeten with more aj or concentrate and touch of maple to taste, chip soaking bourbon to taste.

Appreciate any guidance, I've only done about 7 ciders/cysers in the past with very mixed results. (my fresh presses from local orchards have all made some excellent and expensive apple cider vinegar unfortunately, my store apple juice attempts have turned out fine.)

Oak your bourbon for 2 weeks and add the bourbon, not the chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know this is an old post, but I tried the woodchuck and loved it, wanted to know how this turned out. Might have to put this on my list of ciders to try.

Better than the commercial to my taste buds. I bottled so a still, and next time will keg carb.

I'm thinking about trying this one and I have a couple questions.

1. If I add the woodchip soaked bourbon instead of just the chips, how much bourbon should I use?

2. What is the "#" unit of measurement for the brown sugar?

Back