Woo Hoo I finally brewed my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkyWapiti

Reaction score
Well after much research, watching two of my friends brew, and taking a class at Larry's Brew Supply I finally brewed my first batch this evening. I hopefully brewed up a Widmer style Hefeweizen. This is what went into my brew:

4 1/2 lb Briess Wheat/Barley (65% wheat) malt extract
2 1/2 lb Briess Gold (light) malt extract
1/2 lb Munich 10L
1/2 lb Briess Crystal 20L
1 oz Tettnanger hops (60 min)
3 tsp Irish Moss (last 16 min, I was four minutes late getting this in)
Wyeast#3068 Wheinstephen Weizen which I pitched at 72 degrees

I gotta say that I loved using my Bayou Classic burner with my 30 quart stainless steel pot. The pot may be overkill right now but I decided to go big for future expansion of my home brewery!

I used I-O Safe for sanitizing. The darn directions were only for a 5 gallon mixture. I used a small spray bottle and attempted to get the same look/color as my buddies mixture. I took notes during the process and just hope I didn't screw anything up. Now I gotta wait! :mug:

Welcome to the hobby :)

That brew kettle should handle 5 gallon batches nicely!

For future reference, 3tsp of Irish Moss is a bit heavy. I usually use less than 1 tsp and get great results.

Congrats. I've got the same fryer. works perfectly!

Also, irish moss is not typically used in a hefe weizen, because most people want the "cloudy" look in their hefes.

:mug:

Thanks guys. Bullrider I'm in Maple Valley. JMSetzler I'll take your advice on the moss with my next batch. I already want to brew another batch! Now I gotta figure out what I want to do next. Maybe an Alaskan Amber.

Oh Yeah! I woke up this morning and raced down to the carboy like a kid at Christmas. My little brew is fermenting like crazy, this is pretty darn cool. I just got back home from work and lifted the sheet covering my carboy to get another peek and it's really going at it in there. The wait is gonna kill me.

Back