WLP838

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tderanleau

Reaction score
Any idea what brewery wlp838 southern german lager yeast is from? I’m trying to figure out what yeast Paulaner uses for their lagers

WLP838 is about as close as you're going to get; either that, or Wyeast 2308. I would use whichever one is cheaper, or try them both in a split batch to understand the differences.

My sources say it comes from Wissenschaftliche Station which is a yeast bank in Munich. Their designation of the strain is #308

Just used this yeast on a Munich Helles. Based on how quickly it fermented at 50F and the initial taste test result, I will definitely use this yeast again. For the maltier german lagers, this is my new go-to.

yeast 1.PNG
yeast 2.PNG

Supposedly it's not from a brewery, but from a German brewing science lab called Wissenschaftliche Station which was in Munich back in the '90', which is basically Weihenstephan now. There were two brewing labs back in the day, one in Berlin and the other in Munich.

Back