WLP648 Vrai

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK7007

Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread about 648 yet despite some googling, so I'll start this one. I got my vial yesterday from rebel brewer. They price gouged me on shipping, but that's another story.

First impressions: Upon receipt, I put the vial in a little cooler with ice and took it to lab. (I'm a biochem grad student) I went ahead and looked at the cells under the scope, and they look like little ovals. I didn't bother with high magnification, so didn't see any vacuoles or anything. Smelling the vial, the acetic acid is comparable to a bottle of apple cider vinegar from Bragg. (I drink that in seltzer water all the time, so that's what came to mind) Maybe pear like white labs says, maybe sour apple. Not sure. Didn't taste. Streaked it onto a plate without antibiotics. (wort plate with hops)

From there, I put the vial into ~750ml of 1.040 wort without oxygenation (no stir bar or agitation) overnight. Saved the vial in the fridge just in case my plate doesn't grow up. This morning the starter was rocking, and still smelled of acetic acid. Today I pitched that along with a healthy dose of 565, some Sacc Trois, and a 10ml starter of 3711 into 5 gallons of 1.040 wort at 78F which I'm going to let free rise into the low/mid 80's. (same mash/boil as the starter - brewed on 6/7, and sitting in a no chill container since then)

Wort recipe:

33.3% Bohemian Pils
13.3% Bonlander Munich
3.3% Melanoidin
16.7% Flaked Rye
12.5% Bobs Red Mill Buckwheat cereal (boiled 90min in plenty of water prior to mashing)
8.3% Flaked Wheat
4.2% Flaked Oats
Rice Hulls as needed
8.3% Turbinado Sugar

Step infusion mash:
Beta Glucanase rest at 108F 30min (required)
Saccrification rest at 142 90min

.25oz Horizon FWH
.75oz Pacific Jade at Flameout
90 minute boil
no chill - reserved wort for starters

I'll update when this is done (though this recipe is complicated enough that I won't have a good idea of what 648 is like from this brew and will need to do a stand alone fermentation) - but for now, the 648 starter was definitely tart and fruity, which I really liked. I need to see how much acetic comes through before I decide what stand alone fermentation to do with it, but I'm thinking a fruity pale ale is the way to go. Very different behavior from 644 in the starter.

So, who else has gotten this strain? What are your impressions?

I'll be following, and adding some input as well. Should be brewing with it this weekend, doing a split batch with BSI Drei for comparisons for a 100% Brett Pale Ale thing.

It hasn't been that long, but can I get an update? I'm thinking about a 100% brett beer with this but I want to hear first about some other's experiences.

I'm also subbing to this. Our homebrew club is doing a lot of brett experiments, and I personally brewed a brett saison with this strain and one with WLP650 where the brett was added to secondary after a primary with a Belgian strain. That beer is a couple of months old now. This week I am brewing two saisons, again with these same two strains, only this time I'm going 100% brett instead of doing a saison pitch first. We are comparing all of the beers in September at our club meeting; I'll add tasting notes then.

I just thought I'd post an update about my experiences using 648. My original saison came out great, I keg conditioned it for 3 months before putting it on tap, and it's got a light, fruity aroma.

However, 648 itself hasn't been my favorite. I did some small test (1gal) batches, and found that it seems to throw off acetic acid, which I don't really like. I haven't experimented with it in secondary, so maybe that is the way to go. Anybody else try anything?

2nd update:

I've been adding this as my main yeast to no-boil sours.

It injects a slight acetic character alongside the lactic acid that meshes pretty well. I recommend this strain for similar uses - making a beer tart. This can happen in a clean beer or in a sour beer. The second is the way that I use it since I'm not a fan of dilute vinegar in clean beers.

I'm considering this strain combined with WY5151 -- my goto strain for secondary fermentation, for a 100% brett IPA. Anyone have recommendations on hops that might pair well with wlp648?

We have found Citra, Galaxy, Rakau and Azacca to pair nicely with WLP648. I would imagine any New World varieties with tropical fruit notes would go well, as the strain has a very pineapple-y ester that synergizes nicely with those types of hops.

We have found Citra, Galaxy, Rakau and Azacca to pair nicely with WLP648. I would imagine any New World varieties with tropical fruit notes would go well, as the strain has a very pineapple-y ester that synergizes nicely with those types of hops.

I did something along these lines recently, a mixed fermentation Brett IPA. I did a mixed fermentation between WLP648, WLP 645 (another tropical ester producing brett), and a killer wine strain known for high beta-glucosidase activity (Q23A). Used 1oz/gal of acidulated malt in the mash in the hope of getting ethyl lactate production. Threw in around 14 oz of tropical hop varieties split between the whirlpool and dry hop. (Dry hop added when gravity hit 1.020) Result was like drinking POG juice, great stuff. Aroma was amazingly stable over the course of 3 months in the keg, which was naturally carbed up over the course of a month since I didn't have keggerator space.

I did something along these lines recently, a mixed fermentation Brett IPA. I did a mixed fermentation between WLP648, WLP 645 (another tropical ester producing brett), and a killer wine strain known for high beta-glucosidase activity (Q23A). Used 1oz/gal of acidulated malt in the mash in the hope of getting ethyl lactate production. Threw in around 14 oz of tropical hop varieties split between the whirlpool and dry hop. (Dry hop added when gravity hit 1.020) Result was like drinking POG juice, great stuff. Aroma was amazingly stable over the course of 3 months in the keg, which was naturally carbed up over the course of a month since I didn't have keggerator space.

Hey I know it’s been years but I am planning on doing this can you tell me about your grist, fermentation temps, did you pitch both Brett’s together after chilling wort or one and then another in secondary? Can I get away without using the wine yeast?

Back