WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm made a starter last night and checked this morning and it had a thin layer of foam. I expected it to be going pretty good when I got home and it looks exactly the same, and the yeast seems to be sitting on the bottom.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Does this yeast normally take linger to get a starter going?

It can do. The quantity in the vial is significantly lower than other White Labs strains, so if you're pitching it into a normal sized starter it may take longer to show signs of activity.

Also, per Chad Yakobson's research, brett grows differently from sacchromyces: where your usual starter will have reached maximum cell-count after a day or two, cell numbers in a brett starter will continue to grow substantially for at least 5-7 days.

Hmm made a starter last night and checked this morning and it had a thin layer of foam. I expected it to be going pretty good when I got home and it looks exactly the same, and the yeast seems to be sitting on the bottom.

Brett won't necessarily produce as much krausen as regular yeast. Based on comments by Chad Y, and my own experience, I also think it is not an exclusively top-fermenter: it will also bottom-ferment like a lager yeast.

It can do. The quantity in the vial is significantly lower than other White Labs strains, so if you're pitching it into a normal sized starter it may take longer to show signs of activity.

Also, per Chad Yakobson's research, brett grows differently from sacchromyces: where your usual starter will have reached maximum cell-count after a day or two, cell numbers in a brett starter will continue to grow substantially for at least 5-7 days.

Cool well that gives me some hope, was hoping to brew with this next thursday. I noticed when I swirled it in the growler im using that the foam would increase to about 2 inches and then dissapate to about a 1/4 inch. After doing that about 10 times over the course of a few hours there is no foam layer at all now.

Well it seems to be showing some activity in the bottom 2 inches with some slight bubbling on top so I guess that's a good sign.

Can anyone recommend some hops to use with this strain. Going to make a pale wheat ale with cascade and nelson.

Can anyone recommend some hops to use with this strain. Going to make a pale wheat ale with cascade and nelson.

I've used Nelson, Galaxy, and Cascade with success. I've got a Brett Trois IPA on deck that will be using Galaxy and Mosaic as well.

and, IIRC, Brett starters tend to have an initial growth phase, followed by a little lag, followed by a second growth stage. The lag is why the Brett starters take up to 7 days to reach the same cell counts as Sacc.

I made a 500ml starter of this and it took off overnight. My plan for it is to brew my house session beer, a hoppy wheat beer with all citra fwh, whirlpool/flameout, and dry hops. I will split the batch and ferment half with the Brett and the dryhop with ElDorado. I have another vial I am saving that I am not sure what to use it for yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Just save your slurry from this batch and you will have tons of brett trois forever.

Also, your house session sounds delicious.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I made a beer with this, pretty normal 1.050 gravity/all barley malt, and co2 bubbles have been coming for the past 2-3 weeks. Looks like it's been active for a very long time. I put a good amount in from a starter and it was only a 1 gallon batch. It's weird that it's still going. It's about 65-70 where it sits

My first all Brett IPA with 644 has been fermenting for two weeks. I just took a gravity reading and it's down from 1.061 to 1.008. Tastes great and has terrific color! However it's very cloudy. My malt bill is 95% pilsner. Is this yeast not very flocculent or does it take longer than say 001? How long have people let this yeast go in an IPA recipe before dry hopping?

Brett is definitely not as flocculant as say 001. If you have stable gravity and want it to clear faster you can always cold crash to help the process speed up

Mine have all been super cloudy unless cold crashed. Definitely ferments more homogenously than a sacch strain

My first all Brett IPA with 644 has been fermenting for two weeks. I just took a gravity reading and it's down from 1.061 to 1.008. Tastes great and has terrific color! However it's very cloudy. My malt bill is 95% pilsner. Is this yeast not very flocculent or does it take longer than say 001? How long have people let this yeast go in an IPA recipe before dry hopping?

i don't wait for it to clear before dry hopping. my trois ipa hits about the same numbers as yours, done at 1.008. it will clear in the fridge.

My trois iPa has a bit of chill haze. It is clearing though. Only been in fridge since Tuesday and neck is clear so far. Not bad considering mine had copious amounts if wheat and naked golden oats to boot. And quite possibly the best iPa I have ever had. Never had Pliny or heady though and I am sure I am biase.

Wow my trois ipa had lots of wheat and naked oats as well! I am a huge fan of a thick and delicious wheaty ipa

Tried my whitbread porter last night.
Good god almighty in heaven above!
I used 1oz of EKG and 1/2oz of Fuggles at 60 in a five litre brew and it is almost under bittered. The Trois really went to work on the flavour compounds in this one.

I'm planning to brew a APA thats clean, but still let those fruity pineapple flavors shine. What fermentetion temp would you go for, and am i right in keeping aeration to a minimum?.

70 degrees, low aeration, cold crash it before bottling. Also make a nice starter or you could be fermenting for 3+ weeks!

Our standard hoppy beer, done the time with trois.

76% Vienna
16% flaked oats
4% golden naked oats
4% acidulated malt

Hopped with Columbus, Apollo, Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin, and Galaxy; mostly hop stand and dry hop

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.006

Sample at bottling had a light tartness, which seems to enhance the fruit flavors from the yeast and hops without really registering as acidic in the carbonated beer. The yeast matches wonderfully with the hops in this one.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397578126.658520.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Read this whole thread but has been some time ago. Have one vial of this I bought last fall in the fridge.
Thinking to make a starter for five gallons of 1.074 wort.

Without re reading the whole thread, how long till the starter is ready to pitch??

Thanks.

TD

Have one vial of this I bought last fall in the fridge.
Thinking to make a starter for five gallons of 1.074 wort.

Without re reading the whole thread, how long till the starter is ready to pitch??
Those vials don't contain many cells to start with. After 6+ months you'll have even fewer. Finally, you want a good size pitch of this yeast. All this makes me think you'll need to step this up at least twice. On my phone ATM so I can't check. Go to yeastcalc.co (not .com) and look out up. You want to pick lager amounts I believe.

Those vials don't contain many cells to start with. After 6+ months you'll have even fewer. Finally, you want a good size pitch of this yeast. All this makes me think you'll need to step this up at least twice. On my phone ATM so I can't check. Go to yeastcalc.co (not .com) and look out up. You want to pick lager amounts I believe.

now i am home, and bored, so here you go: making very generous assumptions (5 billion cells instead of the more typical 2-3 i've been reading, only 25% die-off since bought in the fall, and the Troester estimates for stir plate) you still to do three steps. change any of these assumptions and you need a fourth step.

so methinks that you're a few weeks away from having a proper pitch. does anyone's experience with brett drie say otherwise?

drie-growth.jpg

Thanks. Just ordered some more (4 vials fresh stuff). Why did you pick lager for the pitch rate by the way?

If i do a 2 L starter with all 5 vials (wish there was another source with more higher cell count by the way), the calculator says I'd have enough for a ale fermentation is I estimate 19.4 billion cells in the five tubes combined. Says I'd get 315 billion. 3.5 L says I'd be at 537 billion. Take a week to build the starter y'all say for this Brett?

If I make my starter tomorrow night, I can probably have this ready to rock and roll for next week brew day.

Thought that in this thread, there was talk about no aeration of the wort to produce the best flavors and aromas from this strain. I also though, though may be mistaken, that under pitching was also beneficial for the flavors and aromas to shine through. Or am I mistaken? Don't feel like ready through the entire thread again.

I'm planning to do the three Vermont cult clones next week from the BYO issue a few months back (using the HBT recipe for HT though). So any opinion on which of the three should I use the Brett with?

Thanks!

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm thinking about brewing up a batch of Graff to rack on top of the "brett cake" when I bottle my latest 100% Brett Trois IPA. Has anyone had experience with racking onto this strain? I'm also thinking of beefing up my graff recipe to (hopefully) keep the brett from drying it out too much.

Thanks. Just ordered some more (4 vials fresh stuff). Why did you pick lager for the pitch rate by the way?

If i do a 2 L starter with all 5 vials (wish there was another source with more higher cell count by the way), the calculator says I'd have enough for a ale fermentation is I estimate 19.4 billion cells in the five tubes combined. Says I'd get 315 billion. 3.5 L says I'd be at 537 billion. Take a week to build the starter y'all say for this Brett?

the general consensus has been to use lager pitching rates for 100% brett, but I believe there has been a movement towards ale rates that works just as well, at least with trois. you definitely won't need 5 fresh vials in a 2L starter for this batch. last batch i did with similar OG I pitched 1 vial into 0.5L on a stirplate, then topped up to 2L at krausen. crashed, decanted & pitched after 3 days, krausen the next day

I agree with dcp.

I have racked onto it, no problems.

Just treat it similar to a sacch strain, this isn't rocket science

I am curious to know about experiences with fermentation temps with 644. White Labs website says that 70-85F is ideal. I also have a White Labs yeast guide poster that says "85F+" as its "Optimum Fermentation Temp."
I have a beer going now (50% 2-row, 30% wheat malts, 10% triticale malt, 5% flaked oats, 1.5% acid malt, 3.5% choc rye malt). Pitched a huge starter of 644 at 68F, ramped to 72F at 24 hours, then to 75F after about another 24 hours. This thing is going crazy. Anyway, wondering if there is any point in ramping it up into the 80's. Any flavor contributions that others have seen in the high temp ranges?

Just brew a 100% Brett Trois DIPA last night. OG was 1.078. I stepped up the starter twice on my stir plate. 500ml then 1500ml, for about 10 days total. Aerated with pure O2 for 30 seconds then pitched the whole starter at around 9pm last night and at 630am this morning it had blown off through the airlock. Amazing aroma coming through but it's mostly from the half pound of citra and simcoe I threw in at the end of the boil. I'm excited to see how this beer comes out.

Back