WLP616 Funky Cider Yeast Blend - Let's order it now so we get it the Fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSavage

Reaction score
That darn White Lab's vault list moves like molasses.

As I write there are 80 more orders before shipping. You might not be thinking about cider today, but if you want this by Autumn then we need to ordering now.

WLP616 Funky Cider Yeast Blend

This is a blend of two Saccharomyces strains combined with some Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus. This blend results in a slight tartness and a mild funk aroma that will result in less than two weeks. Light pellicle will form because of the Brettanomyces.

Ordered one last month.... Plus the Nordic Blend 611 just arrived from the vault. I now have a major surplus of yeast.

One month later and there 73 order left until shipping.

This is a blatant request for everyone out there to order it now, for cider's sake.

I'd rather use my own Brett +/- Sacc.

Lacto seems pointless or worse.

Sorry :/

Going to try some kveik cider too.

I'm going to try a 100% Brett cider this fall, after reading this post:
http://funkfactory
brewing.blogspot.com/2013/06/cider-fermentation-panel-bottling.html

I'll probably only try one strain though, and I'm not sure which one.
I'm more interested in a "clean" brett fermentation compared to "funky".
I may use the yeast Allagash (reportedly) uses, which you can get from the Yeast Bay:

https://www.theyeastbay.com/wild-ye...anomyces-single-strain-series-isolate-tyb-207

At this point, I'm not interested in using blended yeast, because when its re-pitched the ratios are going to change somewhat. Would be interested to hear how it comes out though.

Last edited:
IMG_9571.JPG

I might as well get in line, too.

What’s the recommended juice blend?

Well I plugged in the deep freezer. Gonna buy 6 gal. from the last pressing this year. No scrambling this time.

I got my vial in the mail yesterday & already created a starter - I will have 5 gallons fermenting by Monday

put must into secondary to filter out some of the apple chunks floating around. Also added Fermaid K - the must is still showing a lot of activity :yes:

My vial has been in the fridge for two months. Pitched it into approx. 50 oz. of previously frozen fresh pressed juice to see if it’s still o.k.
IMG_0357.JPG

Last edited:
I just kegged my Funky Peach cider. Aged almost 6 months. A couple rackings and still a layer of fluffy lees on the bottom. Finished at 1.004 and slightly tart.

IMG_1882.JPG

I had some amazing results with WLP616 last year, however this yeast is not available for homebrewers this year. What could be alternatives for this kind of yeast? I specifically liked WLP616 had resulted funkiness and these also left some residual sugar. Should i try mixing some brett with some regular cider yeast if yes, how? thanks

First time cidermaker here, after trying to find this one everywhere I opted for WLP 670 American Farmhouse blend and hoping for similar results. Just pitched and the waiting begins

Inspired by local American brewers crafting semi-traditional Belgian-style ales, this blend creates a complex flavor profile with a moderate level of sourness. It consists of a traditional farmhouse yeast strain and Brettanomyces. Great yeast for farmhouse ales, saisons, and other Belgian-inspired beers.

Last edited:
Back