WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I replied to this one (it was late!).

It's the Duvel yeast. Find a bottle of Duvel or Mardesous and you will find out what it is like. My first beer with it went in the fermenter last week. Thought I'd try a Duvel clone to see if I can get the yeast flavor right before doing anything else with it.

It is also the yeast Stone uses in it's Cali-Belgique ale.

Supposedly likes to be pitched mid to high 60s, and have the temperature increased to about 80 over 5 days.

Currently having a beyotch of a time trying to get this one to floc out. Cold crashing got it to stratify a bit, but the only "clear" part of the beer after more than a week at 4ºC is the top 2 inches. Not sure what happened here...

Currently having a beyotch of a time trying to get this one to floc out. Cold crashing got it to stratify a bit, but the only "clear" part of the beer after more than a week at 4ºC is the top 2 inches. Not sure what happened here...

I've only used 570 once and not had this problem. I crashed, racked, and have a very clear beer lagering right now. What did you brew?

It is also the yeast Stone uses in it's Cali-Belgique ale.

Do you have a source for this? I talked to a brewer at Stone who specifically stated it was a Saison yeast used in that beer. I don't doubt you could get a saison character out of 570 if you fermented it right, but those two bits of information conflict so I'd love to know who's right.

Do you have a source for this? I talked to a brewer at Stone who specifically stated it was a Saison yeast used in that beer. I don't doubt you could get a saison character out of 570 if you fermented it right, but those two bits of information conflict so I'd love to know who's right.

Straight from the Stone website, most definitely Duvel yeast:

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/cali-belgique-the-untold-story/
http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/Wca256c660276b.htm

Back