Wlp565 Belgian sasion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loganb

Reaction score
So I have a sasion I brewed about 3 weeks ago. OG was 1.067. It actively fermented for about a week and started to slow down so I brought the temp up to the lowish 80s noticed it "start up" again. Racked to secondary at about the 2 week mark (gravity was 1.010) and noticed some airlock activity. Now how low does this yeast go? Should I take a reading at the 4 week mark and bottle or let it ride out longer? Oh and it tasted quite peppery when I took my reading at 2 weeks.

Pilsner malt 78%
Wheat malt 14%
Biscuit 7%

I would let it go until the gravity stopped moving, especially if bottling, but even if kegging just to be sure it had a chance to finish out its flavor profile.

That strain is notorious for stalling, especially on the first generation. IME, 1.010 is too high of an FG for any saison, if properly made. From your grain bill, i'd expect it to drop a few more points. Dont bottle it until your are sure its done.

Can you warm it up any more? You can push those yeasts into the 90s without issue

I would not package at 1.010 for this yeast. In my experience, it will chew off those last points over the next week or two (or three!). My advice would be to warm it up and wait it out. Take a gravity reading in a week. Take another a week later. Continue until gravity is stable.

Edit: It has always finished at 1.002 or less for me. (pils, wheat grist. mash 148 for 90 minutes)

I got the temp around 85ish now. Taking a gravity reading this weekend. Thanks for the Help y'all.

Used this yeast for the first time. Went from 1.060 to 1.009 in 6 days. Was worried with all the stories of it being stuck and a prior issue with 3724. Smelled a bit like sulfur so I'm going to let it sit for another month or so. Really happy it didn't get stuck.

Back