WLP518 Opshaug Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajae

Reaction score
I just wanted to share my experience with this yeast thus far, I wanted to post it here instead of the fermentation and yeast section because I’m not an expert and wanted to get other people’s experience with it.

What flavors are people getting from fermenting at my 88F temps?

What other temps are people getting other flavors at?

C869E184-F1DE-4E9C-9FAE-844F14861C09.jpg

I pitched in the max temp for the yeast, mostly because I was getting impatient waiting for temp to get lower.

IMG_1059.JPG

This was 11 hours in, looked like something was about to happen.

IMG_1062.JPG

Went to go do some Xmas shopping and while out I decided to let temp drop to 88F. This was the result 4 hours after that (17 hours total).

So not sure if it was my worry that I was killing the yeast at 94F or the yeast liking 88f better.
IMG_1075.JPG

This latest **** from today 41 hours in, as you can see there was some vigorous stuff going on at the volume level just pasted the 11 gallon mark.
IMG_1066.JPG

After letting my amber ale go to 92, I tasted it on day 3 and it was AWFUL (like sour cherry wine). Almost all activity had ceased by day 4. Racked to secondary on day 5, But by day 8 much of the strange flavor had gone away, and by day 14 (kegging), it simply had noticeable fruity esters. Not terrible. Going to try a pale ale tomorrow with the harvested/dried/frozen yeast. Made a starter this time, adding a teaspoon (3gm) of flakes to 1.2L of 105 F water. It was bubbling on the stir plate in 10 min at 103 F, and had a nice krausen the following morning at 96 F. What that might be doing to the flavor remains to be seen. This is all experimentation time.

Attachments

• IMG_5449.JPG
    IMG_5449.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5451.JPG
    IMG_5451.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Back