WLP515 best by 4/3/2015: strong or weak starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
I have a vial of WLP515 antwerp ale yeast i'm planning to use for an attempted palme speciale clone/taste-alike. the best by date on it is 4/3/15 and it's been kept refrigerated. i've just started doing yeast starters now that i've got my DIY stir plate figured out. i wanted to check if i should do a standard 1.040 strength starter or start at a weaker 1.020 started and bump it up to 1.040 after a day or two.

another possible silly question: the actual visible bulk of yeast at the bottom of the WLP515 vial is less than that in my vial of WLP001 and cream ale blend. the WLP515 is less than 1/4 full while the WLP001 is about 1/3. does this indicate that WLP515 has less yeast or is it possible it's just a more compact variety of yeast?

img_2822-65983.jpg

I would go standard and do a step-up (i believe that is the term) until you see decent activity.

From what I learned at Whitelabs, yeast culture characteristics change depending on the strain (example: some lumpier than others, etc,) Might be normal but you could always call into Whitelabs and ask!

white labs seems to be inconsistent with their amount of yeast they put in. There could eb minor differences due to flocculation but it shouldnt be nearly that much. Dont get me started on the miniscule amount they give you in any wild vials.

Id just toss it into a regular strength starter. Itll be fine, maybe jsut take a day longer. You could also start with like 500ml or something before stepping up to regular size.

Latest posts

Back