WLP500 Huge under attenuation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazydave

Reaction score
So I made 10 gal of the Dragonmead final absolution belgian trippel clone I found on HBT, split the batch to two carboys and pitched WLP500 (trappist ale) in one and WLP530 (Abbey ale) in the other.
About a month went by, both carboys happily fermenting away at 68 degrees. I checked the gravity and the Trappist yeast finished out quite nicely at 1.006. The Abbey however, was at 1.070! So I tried rousing the yeast a few times over the coarse of the next two weeks, and that didn't help. I've thrown a pound of candy sugar into the fermenter which kicked up very quickly, it sat another 3 weeks and I just checked it again. Still at 1.070!
How is that even possible?! That's barely over 1% ABV!

I was a bad (or maybe just lazy) brewer, and did not make a starter for either batch and just pitched two vials in both carboys. Both carboys were oxygenated for 1 min at 1 LPM. The yeast was fresh when pitched and obviously quite active considering how fast it kicked back up when I threw the extra sugar in. It also started going strong on both batches within 24 hours and both required a blowoff tube. I'm just at a loss now. It tastes good, obviously very sweet though. I feel like pitching more yeast at this point would just be a waste of money, but maybe I'm wrong?
I've never had anything under-attenuate so poorly, and yet everything I read about the WLP530 says it's a great attenuating yeast strain.

Should I maybe try raising the temp into the low 70's and re-rouse?
Any other ideas?
:confused:

I take that back, my refractometer spreadsheet had an "oops"

I was using Morebeer's refractometer spreadsheet to calculate gravity post fermentation. I got 1.023. However, being that I added a lb. of sugar to the fermenter, I'm sure that number is off also.

I knew it couldn't be true...
Back to your regular scheduled programming! :D

Back