wlp380 hefe-pacman blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frailn

Reaction score
So I decided to bust out two jars of wlp380 hefeweizen yeast that I washed and stored in the fridge. I whipped up some wort to make a starter, pitched the yeast, and went to wash the jars. Lo and behold, the label on one jar says "wlp380" - the other says "pacman".

So, now I have this odd yeast blend multiplying in my starter! Maybe I can still use it, but have no idea what type of recipe this might work with. Any suggestions?

I mixed WLP 001 & WLP 565 (Saison) intentionally and you could definitely taste that the saison yeast was heavily in the mix. I'd lean towards something wheaty...so probably just go with the hef you were going to make and see how it turns out. Or split the batch in two after making and pitch just the hef yeast on half to see what difference there is.

I was thinking I should just move forward with the hegemony. Think I will call it Pac-Meister

Hey, what's worst case scenario? The Pacman yeast dominates and you still get a fairly solid beer I would imagine. Upside is maybe you stumble upon something really delicious. I don't know why you didn't accidentally do this before.

Thanks, guys. I think will brew a wheat recipe - will keep it simple with a basic wheat/2-row grain bill and low IBU's with hallertau hops I have on hand. Split the batch in two - batch 1 ferment in the mid 70's for stronger ester flavors and see what happens.... batch 2 ferment around 60. This way I will be able to see how the yeast profiles turn out.

Back