Wlp2 yeas bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr-Jonz

Reaction score
I was making a yeast starter last night with a vial of wlp2. When I shook it up to pour in to my flask it slightly resembled scrambled eggs, coagulated and chunky looking. I didn't really think anything of it, but this morning it didn't dissolve and still looked chunky. I guess my question is, Does anyone think I shouldn't use it?

does it look like this?
WL002.jpg

that's normal & fine

That's the beauty of that yeast. 2 weeks in the primary and it will be a solid cake in the bottom of your fermenter. You will transfer the clearest beer you've ever seen. I make a bitter with that yeast that my dad still will not believe is not a filtered beer.

I believe I read somewhere that a lot of the British yeasts are highly flocculant because they've been bred for cask conditioning. So you want a yeast that clumps together and drops out readily.

I think slightly more accurate would be to say that the British yeasts have been selected for top cropping, which is a function of cells being able to flocculate well and ride CO2 to the surface. But it also aids in dropping clearly.

Love that yeast strain!

Latest posts

Back