WLP090 High Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ran2004

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed a citra pale ale this weekend and wanted to try using WLP090 for the first time as I need the beer to turn around somewhat quickly (traditionally I've just been using WLP001 for my APAs).

Anyway, I went with the generic description on the WL pack that mentioned a pitch temp around 70F. I thought this seemed a bit high, but also figured that the temp in the bucket would drop as I keep my house pretty cool (btwn 60 - 64).

Unfortunately after 18 hours the temperature was still high-- just a tad above 70. I took the bucket to my basement this morning to drop the temp and we're sitting at an even 68 now. Planning to let it drop to about 66 before temperature control kicks back in.

Anyway, I'm a little worried as I know some of the west coast yeasts can produce estery flavors when fermented above recommended temperatures-- does anyone have any kind words to re-assure me? Obviously I am going to RDWAHAHB, but some anecdotal replies telling me the beer will be good would also be accepted :)

I pitched a huge starter int. a 1.120 IIPA last night at around 64. This is what I came home to:

Message_1523306202530.jpg

It was my first time using it, as well. Mine may take a little longer to finish but I'm interested to see what responses you get, too.

Wow!

Well if nothing else I will update the thread after I get everything kegged and tasted-- The temperature just hit 66 about 20 minutes ago and I'll probably keep it there, raising back up to 68 in a few days as we get closer to FG. Plan to do a measurement tonight to see how we're doing-- it was OG 1.055 and I expect FG to hit 1.011... We shall see!

Current gravity is 1.024 (+31 hours), so I expect it will complete fermentation within the next day or so.

I only took a small sample, but what I did taste was delicious-- no estery off flavors!

Last edited:
San Diego Super yeast has been the most consistent for me as I always hit my FG on the dot. I have used it in an RIS, a pale ale and a cream ale.

Two days in and my gravity is at 1.056 and the blow off is still gurgling away. Forty more points to go!

Curious as to how you are tasting your refractometer sample. Licking the plate??

Haha. When the krausen is thick I take a bit of a larger sample with the wine thief I used to use for my hydrometer. It’s probably about 1-2 oz of liquid per test— just enough for a taste.

Hit FG target today. :)

Just circling back-- The beer is kegged and I pulled a first pour yesterday. Delicious and no off flavors detected by my amateur palate. Also I washed this yeast and used it for a follow-on batch of blonde that responded well and smells delicious.

Overall I am very pleased with SDSY!

Back