WLP051 stuck after a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesauer

Reaction score
Hello all. I hate to ask but I'm not sure if it's time for action or not. 8 days ago I brewed an IPA . 1.084 SG. 30 minutes of aeration with aquarium pump. Pitched a 4 liter starter of wlp051. Took off within 8 hours. Fermented nicely for 6 days. Temp has been maintained at 68 with a Johnson a419. Checked gravity tonight and it's 1.031. Still a way to go. I can see most of the yeast has crashed. Is it time to rouse or re- pitch? Or does this strain take a while? I've heard it can and this is my first time using it. I don't want to meddle until absolutely necessary. Thanks.

Roused the yeast and still no drop in gravity. I also brought temp up to 70. Today I used a racking cane and stirred carefully for several minutes, getting everything back into suspension. If this doesn't do it, should I just pitch a packet of us05? Really stumped here.

I have used this strain a couple of times and it always seems to take a while before reaching it final gravity. It is ones of those slowly but surely strains, but the ale comes out great! I have let mine ride for 2 - 2.5 weeks before reaching final gravity. Check it again in a couple of days and then decide.

Back