WLP051 California Ale V

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmorris62

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Citra Pale Ale fermented with WLP051 and I'm experiencing an off flavor very similar to cholorphenols. I treat my water with Campden tablets so I'm pretty sure my chlorine and chlorides are taken care of. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this off flavor with this strain of yeast or if maybe I have some sort of infection.

It's not the yeast. That's a wonderful strain. Have you thought about installing an inline filter for your water? You can also buy spring water... Personally, I'll buy RO water in bulk; you can usually find it at health food stores or a lot of grocery stores. Then at least you're starting with something pure and predictable that you can build.

Yes I want to install an inline filter but I've been very lazy and haven't gotten the rest of the fittings for it. My mind works a million miles a minute and I have tons of ideas and projects but never move on any of them. I'm glad to hear the strain is clean and it's something on my end. I will be giving all my equipment a good cleaning and see if it happens again. Thanks for the reply

Back