WLP007, You Flocculant B&^%$#@!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made a 5L starter of WLP007 the on Tues night for the first time. I figured I could squeeze in a second 5L step if it was as decently flocculant as the White Labs description says it is. Kept it on the stir plate at 72F.

At 16 hours after pitching, it was still a brown, homogeneous mixture. Like most starters.
At 24 hours after pitching, it looked like a snow storm in my flask. Little globs floating around.
At 36 hours after pitching now, it looks like an underwater volcanic eruption. Woah!

I'd read that this stuff can floc hard, but I wasn't prepared for it to floc fully in seconds. Check it out (forgive the audio... it's oddly over amplified).

Should I even bother cold crashing it to step up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on your description it was done at 24 hrs so cold crash it and step it up:)

My favorite yeast. I use it for anything, start it at 60 and slowly ramp up to mid 60's. Super clean, attenuative, and clears quickly.

Yes def. cold crash. If you dont you'll be leaving the less floculant/more attenuative yeast in solution

Back