WLP007 High Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youmeandbrew

Reaction score
I'm using White Labs Dry English Ale WLP007 for a New England style IPA. I brewed on Wednesday 12/27 and transferred to the fermenter at 68 degrees and room temp was 68-69. It hung there for a bit and the room temp rised to 70-71 degrees by Thursday morning and I had an vigorous fermentation by Thursday night. By Friday Morning 12/29 the room temp for whatever reason is at 75 degrees. Not sure how long it has been like that. Most likely all night.

Should I be concerned? A part of me thinks the esters produced at a higher ferm temp will be ok for the style but I've never brewed a beer with this strain before. Any suggestions?

Fermentation temp will often be 5-10F higher than ambient, so your temp may be higher than that. Regardless, that is much too warm for any non-belgian yeast, really. That yeast in particular produces very strong esters when warm, which can come across as tangy, lactic, or solventy. I'd get the temp down ASAP, although with so much hops in the beer the esters may not come across as too bad.

Fermentation temp will often be 5-10F higher than ambient, so your temp may be higher than that. Regardless, that is much too warm for any non-belgian yeast, really. That yeast in particular produces very strong esters when warm, which can come across as tangy, lactic, or solventy. I'd get the temp down ASAP, although with so much hops in the beer the esters may not come across as too bad.
Thanks, that's what I figured. I moved it to an area that's 69 degrees. Hopefully the hops mask any esters that may have been produced. I'll be doing a dry hop/gravity reading in 2 days so I'll taste it then and see if I can notice any off flavors. I'll post the results here.

Latest posts

Back