WLP002 Spoiled flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco29wps

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I realize that "jumping the gun" is a common rookie mistake but this one is weird. I recently brewed a moose drool clone using WLP002. I let it set for about a month in the primary at around 74ish degrees. (I know, a bit too long and a bit too high...could be the problem) So here is the issue...when I transferred to the secondary, I noticed that it tasted kinda spoiled or soured...I could even use kinda rotten flavored. Well, unfortunately I had just pitched the slurry from that into a pale ale that I just brewed. Now the pale ale has the same flavor. I'm guessing it's the yeast. I guess my question is...do you think that flavor will go away? Now the moose drool clone is about 6 weeks old and has only been bottled 1 week and the pale ale is only 2 weeks old and still in the secondary.

Thanks,

Taco

Have you tasted any of the bottles yet? Did you pitch fresh yeast and did you make a starter?

Yeah, I just tasted one of the bottles. I knew it wouldn't be ready but I just wanted to see if the flavor was still there,,,it was. Originally I pitched a vile right into the bucket, no starter. Do you think that the flavor will eventually go away? I would hate to throw out 2 full batches of beer...I'm running low!

Thanks,

Taco

Back