WLP002 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robar

Reaction score
I did a starter for WLP002. Doing all the normal stuff etc. etc. This thing didn't do anything for a couple days. Then I finally started getting some activity I swirled it every now and then as normal then I started getting lots of bubbles out of the lock. for the first couple days after I started getting activity the smell was just yeasty. It never formed a kraeusen ring, it doesn't have much smell when you swirl it and get bubbles out the lock but I do notice a slight beer smell. I tasted a little of the it and it doesn't taste foul in any way. It never formed a kraeusen ring

I have read somewhere that this yeast is a little on the slow side. Is this normal? Should I trust it or can it? Thanks - Robar

Robar said:
I did a starter for WLP002. Doing all the normal stuff etc. etc. This thing didn't do anything for a couple days. Then I finally started getting some activity I swirled it every now and then as normal then I started getting lots of bubbles out of the lock. for the first couple days after I started getting activity the smell was just yeasty. It never formed a kraeusen ring, it doesn't have much smell when you swirl it and get bubbles out the lock but I do notice a slight beer smell. I tasted a little of the it and it doesn't taste foul in any way. It never formed a kraeusen ring

I have read somewhere that this yeast is a little on the slow side. Is this normal? Should I trust it or can it? Thanks - Robar

Depending on the size of your starter, not seeing a kraeusen is not important. what is of importance is the lag time for the starter. IMHO, your vial was in poor health due to shipping or poor handling, but recovered in the starter. If your sanitation was good, Fwiw, i believe you have good yeast, use it........:)

Oldfarmer

It was a 1 quart starter (as I originally intended to split it) and I was very careful about sanitation. I always make sanitation a priority though that doesn't mean I'm perfect. I believe that what is in the jug is clean based on smell and taste I just wasn't sure if I had enough reproduction to be reliable. I'll be brewing a batch of Red tomorrow to toss it in. Thanks again. - Robar

002 is crazy flocculent too, so it might need a bit of swirling to get it in suspension after it wakes up.

Back