WLP002 or WLP500 for English Brown Pumpkin beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
9.5# Marris Otter
.5# C80 (UK)
.5# Biscuit (UK)
,25# Chocolate Malt
~ 16oz Roasted butternut squash (one small/medium squash)
15oz Pumpkin Puree
1# box of graham crackers
.5# Light Brown Sugar

Mash @ 156 with squash, pumpkin and crackers.

Magnum @ 60 to bitter.

I have a vial of WLP002 and a cake of WLP500. This would be the second run on the WLP500 which is intended for a Westy clone with holiday spices to be ready around Christmas. I don't have the Westy clone setup yet so brewing that is not possible.

Obviously I have a brown ale setup which would be right in 002's wheel house. But can I be lazy and rack to my 500 cake? If so I could keg that Belgian Pale and ferment this pumpkin thing without going through the washing process.

nevermind. I mixed up my batches. ended up brewing the grainbill above last week with strisselspalt hops, a decoction mash and wlp500 thinking it was my belgian pale grain bill. was wondering why it was so dark.

this batch ended up being

9.5 bel pils
.5 caravienne
.5 special roast
15oz pumpkin puree
1# butternut squash
.5 light brown sugar

mashed at 155F (yikes)

using all UK brambling cross hops at 60,15,10,5 and fermenting with wlp002. basically calling it an english bitter with squash, graham cracker and pumpkin.

Back