Pumpkin Ale suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
I am trying my hand at my first pumpkin Ale at the request of my wife. She loves Schlafly Pumpkin ale and in the interests of marital bliss and wallet, to keep her from buying a couple of cases this fall, I am trying to brew up a good pumpkin beer for her.

Needs to be high ABV, pumpkin-y, on the sweeter side. Lots of it.

This is the recipe I used. One of the things I am looking for is suggestions on maximizing volume. I only brewed on Saturday, so things are still settling in the fermenter after high krausen, but it looks like big bunch of torb at the bottom. Like easily 1/3rd lost to torb/yeast. I know the components are going to have a lot of stuff that'll settle out, but I am looking for recommendations on how to compact the torb/yeast cake to maximize extracted beer later.

The trial recipe was for 1.5 Gallons
2lbs Vienna
1.5lbs Munich
1/3lbs caravienna
1/4lb dextrin malt
15oz butternut squash in the mash
Mashed at 154F
.5lb sugar in boil
.3oz Hallertau for 60 mins
.5oz Hallertau for 15 mins
.3oz crushed cinnamon sticks for 15 mins
.2oz minced ginger root for 15 mins
.1oz powdered cloves for 15 mins
.2oz Hallertau for 5 mins
S-05 yeast

OG turned out to be 1.074 which was right what I was shooting for.

I am thinking a lot of the torb is the precipitate of the butternut squash...but any suggestions on how to compact it all down to maximize beer extraction later (without a bunch of sediment)? Would cold crashing it for half a day or a day help with that at all? I did run the wort through the sieve for my funnel when pouring in to my carboy, which got rid of quite a bit.

At least tentatively thinking about when I make a 4.5G batch that I'll go with 2 cans of 15oz butternut squash instead of 3 cans when tripling it. The pumpkin flavor is a little knock your socks off strong, though the spicing seems about right.

Trub just kinda comes with the territory. Vorlaufing longer will help, especially with a bit deeper grainbed for the larger batch. Some people even put the pumpkin in a nylon bag to keep it more contained. That helps, but some is getting out. You might try a paint strainer bag to get a little more our than a sieve would.

Cold crashing will compact it. You might try a little jello too to drop everything and make syphoning a bit easier.

Back