WLP002 harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy2027

Reaction score
Take a look at this picture, this may be a stupid question but is the yeast the white clumps?

I am assuming its like this because the 002 flocs like crazy.

IMG_20170720_163852695.jpg

Correct, those clumps are yeast. Sometimes when transferring 002 out of primary into a sanitized mason jar for storage, it will come out in huge clumps, sort of like rolled play-doh snakes.

Would I benefit from removing the trub before making a starter for my next beer. It was a hopped with ekg and goldings very lightly

Sure, I rinse yeast and find it removes the unwanted solids so I can get a clean starter going from the viable yeast when Im ready to brew. I don't rinse until Im ready to do a starter, but that is my preference. You can rinse now and store the yeast for months.

Some good rinsing instructions here:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/yeast-washing-yeast-rinsing-whats-difference/

As always, the most critical point is sanitation but that is pretty easy with mason jars.

I've just taken the yeast slurry (and based on a yeast calculator) just pitch that amount. No washing, no starter; just let it warm up. There is some trub, but I am collecting out of a conical so I just let the first yeast go. I also dry hop in a sock. Depending on the age of the stored yeast I have indications of fermentation almost immediately. Did have a recent pitch that used 3 mo old slurry and was borderline under pitch. Took 2 days to start, but when she went it was powerful. No off flavors fellow brewers have tasted either. Saves time and one less step for a potential infection. ymmv

I've just taken the yeast slurry (and based on a yeast calculator) just pitch that amount. No washing, no starter; just let it warm up. There is some trub, but I am collecting out of a conical so I just let the first yeast go. I also dry hop in a sock. Depending on the age of the stored yeast I have indications of fermentation almost immediately. Did have a recent pitch that used 3 mo old slurry and was borderline under pitch. Took 2 days to start, but when she went it was powerful. No off flavors fellow brewers have tasted either. Saves time and one less step for a potential infection. ymmv

Nice, thats good to know.

What calculator are you using?

Back