WLP001 and Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLSU75

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA with WLP001 yeast Saturday night and it has been fermenting since the early AM Sunday. It's been in an ambient temp of about 72 degrees.

Would it be smart to move it down my basement where the ambient temp is 62 degrees or does it not make a difference at this point? I obviously want to try to keep away any off flavors or fusel alcohol.

Absolutely. Ideally you would have started it in the basement and kept it there, possibly ramping up temp after5-7 days. Since many off-flavors are produced during the first 72 hours of fermentation, they may already be there. But it certainly won't hurt at this point and will likely keep you from getting more undesirable hot alcohol, banana, and clove flavors.

I like to ferment low (58-60 ambient), especially when brewing IPAs, because it produces a much cleaner final product.

If the ambient temp is 72, I imagine the temp inside the fermentor will get close to 75 or more at peak fermentation. If you move it to the basement, it might help pull the temp back down to the high 60's for the rest of the fermentation.

Back