wlp 565 already finished?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauerstein

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post I have been reading a lot of info and I am so greatful to have this very useful tool.

i brewed a saison on 04-01 with a sg of 1.062 or 15.2 on my refractometer. i made a 1 liter starter on a stir plate with 1 vial of wlp565 yeast 18 hrs before pitching. i started the fermentation at 76 and put it in the warmest area of my house it got up to about 85 in about 2 days, a cold front came through and now it is down to 79 on 04-05. i checked the gravity today 04-05 and i am getting a refractometer reading of 6.6 i plugged that in more beer's spreadsheet and the gravity says 1.005. i thought this was strange so i stirred the yeast and got another sample with the same results. from everything i have read on here everyone says this yeast takes 3-4 weeks
i did taste some and it has a nice spice note to it

could it possibly be finished in 5 days

thanks

I'd let it sit. I've only used this yeast once, but mine went from 1.050 to 1.009 in 6 days, then stalled there for a week. Ten days after that it was at 1.002.

thanks I was planning on leaving it on the yeast for at least another week i was just wondering if anyone has experienced results like this. reading the forum 565 seemed like a tempermental yeast. it was pretty easy for me

Wow... that's nuts. Does seem like it's all over the place. I'm considering using this yeast for a saison and stuff like this is certainly encouraging.

My Saison went from 1.063 and stopped at 1.012 in about a week. I racked and kegged it after two weeks and at first it wasnt very good. Its aging nicely and seems to get better with every glass. If I do this beer again I will definitely let it sit in the carboy for 3-4 weeks.

Latest posts

Back