WL840 Jan 10 2016 Viability Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthefrog

Reaction score
Hello friends! I'm freaking out a little bit. I just bought a white labs 840 "pure pitch" soft pack of liquid yeast from the local homebrew store, only to realize the best use by date being july 8, 2016, and a manufacture date of jan 10, 2016.

I went over to mr. malty to see how big of a starter to make and much to my surprise, it's given a 10% viability :( meaning I'd need around a 33 liter starter for a 1.041 lager I'm doing.

I called the homebrew store and they assured me that with the new "pure pitch" packaging that atleast 50% viability should still be the case with that yeast. I have my doubts. Are there any experts that can weigh in on this?

I plan to do a 1.5 liter starter using a mixing plate. Can someone put my concerns to rest?

Thanks.

I am in no way a expert on this, but I have the feeling that You will be fine. Just build it up a couple times. I feel that the viability scales are somewhat off. I just built up a pack of 007 that was manufactured in november 2015. beer is chugging right along after 2 steps of 2 liters. pitched into 11 gallons of 1.068 wort.

Your fine. Only thing I would be upset about is being charged full price for yeast a day before its expiration date.

Back