WL 007 jumped to 72 after 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
I love this yeast but I may have made a crucial error. I started ferm at 64degrees and noticed activity after 4 hours. After the second day I put an extra wrap on my bucket as to try to get my temp to 70ish. When I came home today temp was at 72-74 and all most had a blow out. There was krausen in the neck of my airlock. If I bring my temp back down will there b any ill effects?

Let it cool off. Should be fine.

I would have left it at 64 personally.

It may have a tidge of "character", but it will probably be fine beer.

You should alright depending on when your temps got on the hot side. Of they warmed up at hour 30 it will have more of a negative effect than if it warmed up on hour 44. Most of the flavor compounds are created in the first 48 hours in the growth phase of fermentation so raising temps (within reason) after that should not have detrimental effects on flavor. 48 hours really is just a rule of thumb because every beer, yeast, and fermentation is different, but the important thing to remember is to keep temps controlled during the growth phase which should be around 48 hours (loose rule of thumb).

If anything, your raised temps after 48 hours will encourage your yeast to stay in suspension helping them attenuate your beer and clean up undesirable flavor compounds like diacytel and acetaldehyde. Conversely, bringing your temps down at this stage can encourage your yeast to stop early. At the very least, it will most likely slow their activity down which could be bad news for attenuation and clean up.

Edit: All that being said, keep in mind that sharp increases in temperature will stress your yeast at any stage of fermentation, so your fermentation may suffer in that aspect. From what I've read and heard, 1-2 degrees per day is ideal. 8-10 degrees in 1 day could spell trouble.

Back