With the hurricane, what better to do than brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewd00d

Reaction score
Living on the east coast in Delaware, we are expecting a Category 2 hurricane tomorrow evening.

I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to brew some beer. Who is with me?

I recently posted a thread about what to do for a one year brewing anniversary.

At walmart, i found a "berry medley" bag of frozen berries (basically anything that ends with a "berry", blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, blueberry).

Since i am a huge fan of wheat beers and especially fruit wheats, im adding 4 bags (@ one pound each) of these into an American wheat brew.

Im expecting a lot of flavor, and an overall fantastic beer.

Brew on!

Good luck with Irene everyone. Looks like it is going to miss me and track a little west and run through Labrador. All I'll get is a little wind and rain to make my start to my work week soggy.

Temporarily re-purposing all my empty fermentation vessels for water containment, just in case. I'll brew again on tuesday.

Was gonna brew this weekend. But with a lager in the plans, I think I'll postpone. No electicity means no lager. :mad:

No electricity means no water (well pump)...so I asettling for a yeast starter that I am making tonight, on the stirplate till we lose juice, probably Sunday AM...will brew when juice comes back

fnord said:
Temporarily re-purposing all my empty fermentation vessels for water containment, just in case. I'll brew again on tuesday.

Did the same with my better bottle. Luckily I had just transferred my Belgian Triple to a secondary last weekend.

Living on the east coast in Delaware, we are expecting a Category 2 hurricane tomorrow evening.

I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to brew some beer. Who is with me?

I recently posted a thread about what to do for a one year brewing anniversary.

At walmart, i found a "berry medley" bag of frozen berries (basically anything that ends with a "berry", blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, blueberry).

Since i am a huge fan of wheat beers and especially fruit wheats, im adding 4 bags (@ one pound each) of these into an American wheat brew.

Im expecting a lot of flavor, and an overall fantastic beer.

Brew on!

so you brew indoors? why the eff would you brew beer outdoors at a time like this? And why the eff would you add all that fruit to a beer? Forget brewing, visit a mental institute, you crazy mother effer. :ban:

Yeah I'm out on Long Island. Supposed to get pretty bad around here tonight and tomorrow. I chose to postpone my pumpkin ale brew this weekend. I need electric for my fermentation chamber (chest freezer). Just still too damn hot around here without a cooling chamber for fermentation. Pumpkin ale is just too much work to screw it up because of temp issues.

Brewed a dubbel last night (during the height of Irene here in Philly). About 30 minutes into my boil I went down into my basement to see water pouring in through one of my window wells! I ran outside to the side of the house with that window to find myself standing calf-deep in water. I had to shut of my burner and put the lid on my pot to bail out my basement. luckily that was toward the end of the worst of the rain. about 2 hours later I had things under control (I only ended up getting ~ 1 inch of water over half of my basement.

At that point it was ~1:30AM and I was tired/sore as hell. I decided to finish off brewing by bringing the wort back to boiling and adding my whirlfloc and dropping my immersion chiller then cooling and siphoning into my carboy. wound up doing only about a 45 minute boil total (was supposed to do 90 min). Wound up with ~8 gallons of wort (should have been ~6).

I used the extra wort to add to my sour solera so all was not lost. my dubbel will be a little small, however. (1.054 rather than 1.069)

If this turns out well I'm going to have a heck of a time trying to reproduce it...I'll have to wait for the next hurricane.

Maybe you should call it "perfect storm ale"? Reminds me of the movie...I saw on msnbc that Irene is down to a category 1,but it's so damn huge. The spinning arms of the storm covered Florida in the NASA image. They measured it at 500 MILES WIDE!! It is indeed the perfect storm. Stay safe you guys. Don't let brewing get in the way of common sense.

Brewed an English Pale Ale outside in the pouring rain and wind last night. Got it all done and yeast pitched just in time for the power to go out. It's still out, but the EPA is fermenting away down in the basement. No telling when we will have electricity again. 15,000 people in the York, PA area alone with out power right now.

Latest posts

Back