Wit recipe check/questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
Hi all! yet another wit!

50% pils
50% flaked wheat

.5oz coriander
.5oz orange zest

WL Belgian Wit yeast

I am unsure what temp to mash at. I guess you would want it fairly dry? 150F?

Also, I read a thread about underpitching with Hefes to stress the yeast. Would this apply to a Wit as well, or should we do a starter?

Thanks in advance!

It looks pretty straight forward........maybe check out the recipe database to see what others have done?

I would still make a starter to ensure viability. That doesn't mean it has to be a huge 1gal starter or anything. Maybe a liter??

Thanks for the advice. Only 2-3 weeks late though!!! Bottled this one a few days ago, so we'll see how it turned out. Sample tasted good, although it smelled funky when we opened up the fermentor!!!!

We ended up not doing a starter due to some time restraints. It feremented well, but maybe a bit on the slower side. Next time a starter will be done for sure. We haven't done them a lot in the past but are getting into the routine of it. Either that or pitching onto a yeast cake.

I find protein rests help every bit as much as rice hull with large amounts of wheat.

Latest posts

Back