Wire for RTD, need to replace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
I have been having issues with the wires for my RTD's. My brew stand is mobile and I have to move my equipment to brew. I currently have chinese SS braid wire and it is failing internally. Suggestions on a type and source of wire?

I don't see how it could be a loose connection the wires are soldered on.It is or it isn't..on mine from aurbrins anyway

I have been having issues with the wires for my RTD's. My brew stand is mobile and I have to move my equipment to brew. I currently have chinese SS braid wire and it is failing internally. Suggestions on a type and source of wire?

radioshack... they have the wire and the soldering guns to repair it keep in mind its going to cost more than a replacement like this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-Pt100-T...223954?hash=item5d64ed2e12:g:EcMAAOSw7ehXQshA

Id say go with the standard nylon telphone wire they sell at the home depot or anywhere really... the stainless braided stuff sucks its about as cheap as it gets and the reason they use the stainless is because the wires inside are so frail and tiny they wouldnt last at all without it but it kinks easily... if is shorted at the base of the sensor and you dont have the plug style your better off replacing it...

I use these myself http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-T...946264?hash=item280fedfa98:g:1SAAAOSw-zxWm6lk and think they are pretty nice, the cables is 10 times better than the cheap stainless braided ones no matter what distributor you bought them from or how much you paid for them they are all from the same generic manufacturers.

I learned the hard way by going through 3 of the stainless braided line sensors that shorted and failed due to the crap cables.

I don't see how it could be a loose connection the wires are soldered on.It is or it isn't..on mine from aurbrins anyway

the wires break loose a lot from the solder connections on the plug pins too... Didnt you have a loose wire on one of yours a while back Johnnyrotten?

the wires break loose a lot from the solder connections on the plug pins too... Didnt you have a loose wire on one of yours a while back Johnnyrotten?
We were discussing possible issues why my temp readings were bouncing around. I replaced the PID and it helped. If I wiggle the wire around the temp display still bounces around a bit .Its only a degree or 2,before it was jumping around like 20-50 deg. At that time I pulled all the connections apart(including the temp probe) to check for broken solder and everything was as it should be.

20170101_141731_resized.jpg

This what I bought and having issues with.
I soldered my own ends for the panel, and have the screw type for the RTD.

So I can just buy bulk cable and resolder, not a big deal.
I just didn't know if it requires special wire/cable?

radioshack... they have the wire and the soldering guns to repair it keep in mind its going to cost more than a replacement like this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-Pt100-T...223954?hash=item5d64ed2e12:g:EcMAAOSw7ehXQshA

nothing special about the wire.

Latest posts

Back