Winter Solstice Sweet Finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So, I am enjoying my favorite Winter warmer, Anderson Valley's Winter Solstice. I really enjoy the sweet (caramel or vanilla?) finish that i get with this ale. It is a different sweetness that simply a malty/ not hoppy beer. I would love to duplicate this smooth and sweet taste in a homebrew, but am not sure how. Are there some unfermentable sugars that they are using to create this? Or is it simply a result of the types of grain that were used?
I am brewing with extract currently, so if you have any advice it would be appreciated. Thanks!

It's vanilla. There were a few posts a few years back from someone who worked at AVBC. They add vanilla at bottling. Aside from that, it's a huge malt bomb with lots of crystal. I have a VERY close clone receipe if you click receipes under my name. I brew it with cascades, as I like it better that way, but I'm almost positive AVBC uses norther brewer hops. They've said themselves they add them during the whirlpool, so I add at 5min or less. If you need an extract receipe, pm me, I can convert it

Back