Wine temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
What temps are required for wine to ferment and for sitting in secondary? What happens if the temps get too high (say +2 to +5 over the above level?) like they might in the summer?

I am questioning this because I won't be brewing beer in the summer, and it seems like a sin to leave the fermenter/secondary carboys empty for 3 months! So, I thought maybe a wine?

Thanks for any help.

Wine is a lot less heat tolerant than ale, so unless you have tight temperature control I'd say BBQ.

I do have temp control, but due to cost, I keep the house between 75-78 in the summer months (May to Sep). Would that work?

Mk010101 said:
What temps are required for wine to ferment and for sitting in secondary? What happens if the temps get too high (say +2 to +5 over the above level?) like they might in the summer?

I am questioning this because I won't be brewing beer in the summer, and it seems like a sin to leave the fermenter/secondary carboys empty for 3 months! So, I thought maybe a wine?

Thanks for any help.
I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing. I had some problems with high temps last year. I think wines would work better during the summer months.

Back