Wine Recipe - Juice From Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpsimswm

Reaction score
Ingredients:
9 Great Value frozen Grape Juice concentrate
4 Welches white grape raspberry conc.
1 Welches white grape peach conc.
4 cups table sugar
1 package Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast
Water to fill 5 gallons.

All ingredients purchased at Walmart today, except yeast. I found a five gallon plastic carboy at my walmart for $7 too, stamped #3. It was near the hardware department.

All told the ingredients and carboy cost about 32 bucks. I will try to remember to come back and share how it resulted.

Warning.. I did a quick look up on #3 plastic. It is pvc and found this No. 3 plastics are at risk of releasing toxic breakdown products like phthalates into food and drinks. Also, the manufacturing of PVC is known to release highly toxic dioxins into the environment."

I don't trust everything posted on the internet. Just for footnoting I found it here: http://www.thedailygreen.com/going-green/tips/plastic-recycling-codes-tip

It was a water bottle. So I didnt think it would be a problem. If someone else thinks I made an error, I will dump it ASAP

It was a water bottle. So I didnt think it would be a problem. If someone else thinks I made an error, I will dump it ASAP

If you are positive it was made to hold water, then you should be ok. Never hurts to be cautious of non-brewing equipment.

The thing is when you ferment you start leeching the toxins from the #3 bottle in to your wine. #3 is rarely used for even drinking water, more like window cleaner, detergent, shampoo, industrial oil.
Personally if this was stocked next to the store water supply I would ask management why they are offering a container not even appropriate for water in the water section. Many people think a container is a container and safe for whatever is put in it.

After all is said and done on this recipe, it made a sugary sweet wine that isnt getting many takers. I just paid 50 bucks for a cabernet merlot kit from amazon and will try that next.

It finished sweet. I still stabilized before bottling just to be sure.

Latest posts

Back