Wine funk smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneArcher

Reaction score
Well, over the summer one batch got a case of rotten smell. I'm thinking it fermented too warm in secondary. I was transferring and as son as I popped the airlock, I could smell it. After transferring, it was a horrible smell in the kitchen.

After a couple of days, smelling again, I added Campden and splash racked. Still there a few days later. So, splash racked gain and stirring with a copper tube. I whipped the monkey out of this thing. Less, but still there.

Can I stick a chunk of copper in the carboy? Sounds whack, right? At this point I'm going to have to dump it. I'm just wondering about any ill human effects of it sitting on copper.

Maybe whip it with the copper stink beater again? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Remove the copper,
I would check your SO2 levels and adjust them, after that, purchase REDULEES, it is inexpensive, add the appropriate amount (I would go with the max amount, I believe 4 or 5 grams per gallon of must) stir, put the airlock back on and in 5 days rack it into a clean carboy, this should remove the funky rotten egg (sulfur) smell. If the smell persists, you can try NOBLEESE.

If the wine smells like vinegar, it's time to throw in the towel on this batch and make vinegar.
Redulees should work, I saved a batch of wine with it.

You can fine both at http://morewinemaking.com/ or [url]www.juicegrape.com[/URL], they should cost a few dollars.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Thanks guys. I had the copper sit in for about five to ten minutes last night, then removed them.

I'm not super keen on dumping a bunch of chemicals in, but I'm to that point now I think. I really don't want to dump it. I'll check out the links, pumpkinman. Thanks! It's not turning to vinegar.

I'm going to whip the snot out of it again, then order chems if it's a no go.

Thanks for the quick response folks!

Back