Wine flavored beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
My girlfriend and i travel around alot. We explore different wineries and breweries, etc.... One particular place, we came across a reisling ale. Tasted great. Was wondering if anyone has experimented with the two?

I know there are some commercial examples, from Hangar 24 and Dogfish head, of beer made with grapes or grape juice as a minor ingredient. I've enjoyed them, but never tried brewing my own.

Yeah i like gewurztraminer wine. So i was thinking of trying a gewurztraminer ale. What do i have to lose right?

Thank you! What about a Montrachet yeast. I know its labelled as an all purpose wine yeast. Not sure what that would do?

One more piece of information: depending on what you're going for, WLP099 is said to produce a "winey" character when fermenting over about 16% ABV.

At GABF a few years ago, Blue Moon had several flavored variations and one of them was a white wine grape. I think it was reisling, but I'm not sure. I remember liking it, but i remember many, many, many samples before it.

DFH has a few beers with wine flavors, Noble Rot, Midas Touch, i'm forgetting another...

Either way, adding grape juice to a beer is going to give you more wine-like flavors than just using a wine yeast.

You cannot use wine yeast for beer. It can't metabolize maltose and maltotriose. On the other hand, beer yeast works fine with grape juice, and leaves it's characteristic signature flavor. Cool and slow is best.

adding grape must is almost a must. seriously Avery brewery make some of the best wine barrel aged beers available and i know they use grape must in a lot of those recipes

Adding grape must is a great way and I'd do that vs using wine yeast. You could also age a beer in a small wine barrel. I got my hands on a 20L used barrel for under $100 on craigslist. I aged a saison in it and it turned out fantastic.

Back