Wine Filter for hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm making a 5 gl batch of hard cider. First try to be honest. My recipe is 20 ltrs store brought apple juice, 3 jars of honey, 1 kilo sugar, 2 pints of very strong tea and around 4 lbs of mixed liquidised apples. Will I need to filter out any apple when it comes to placing it in my keg. Also I've read about malic acid and pectolase will I need to add either and how much. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Drop the 4 lbs of apples and add apple juice concentrate instead. easier for your first time.

You shouldn't need any pectic enzyme if the juice is the 'clear' or pre-filtered store-bought kind. If it's 'cider' style juice with all the original haze in it, add pectic enzyme, ideally let it clear for 36-48 hrs and then rack off the pectin into your primary fermentation vessel.

Thanks that's great. The only trouble is in UK we really don't get apple juice concentrate and if you can it's so expensive like $10 a ltr.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back