Wine degassing vacuum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineANDbrine

Reaction score
I just remembered that my brother gave this vacuum pump to me a couple years back. I want to use it for degassing my wines but I'm not sure if the rating of 15.75 inches in mercury would be too high to leave it hooked up to my glass carboys or if it may not be strong enough to have any considerable effectiveness. Could anybody see using this potentially being an issue ?

image-3784606643.jpg

I am not sure how accurate or steady the equipment in your pic will hold the vacuum. I use a mityvac and leave the pressure between 20 & 22 in Hg vac. I use it on 6 & 3 Gal glass carboys. I have read some threads of what other people use, and I believe vacuum pumps from the medical field are what a lot of people use. I think they will hold a very steady vacuum but I have stayed with my hand pump.

That will take a lot out but not all of it. You can add boiling stones to increase your efficiency, they can be cleaned and resused over and over. One your other thread about fermenting under a vacum, yeast do need some O2 at the start of the fermentation so if you did it under a vacum it might have a negative effect on their reproduction, and as soon as they started producing CO2 it would be hard to hold the vacum.

WVMJ

I have a Schuco Vac that I leave on my carboys at ~12-15 in/hg without trouble. Make sure you have them filled up to at least where the bell at the top starts. Curved glass is a lot stronger than the straight walls on the side. But don't go too full because if you aren't careful you'll get a vacuum hose full of wine foam.

WVMJ said:
That will take a lot out but not all of it. You can add boiling stones to increase your efficiency, they can be cleaned and resused over and over. One your other thread about fermenting under a vacum, yeast do need some O2 at the start of the fermentation so if you did it under a vacum it might have a negative effect on their reproduction, and as soon as they started producing CO2 it would be hard to hold the vacum. WVMJ

I'll have to see if I can find any boiling stones around. I saw the thread about fermenting under a vacuum, but it wasn't mine. My main concern was pulling a vacuum that would cause the glass to crack/ shatter. I looked at a few pumps designed for degassing and saw that the specs of this one should be okay.
Thanks a lot
W&B

ThorGodOfThunder said:
I have a Schuco Vac that I leave on my carboys at ~12-15 in/hg without trouble. Make sure you have them filled up to at least where the bell at the top starts. Curved glass is a lot stronger than the straight walls on the side. But don't go too full because if you aren't careful you'll get a vacuum hose full of wine foam.
Okay awesome. I've noticed that the yooper always emphasizes keeping carboys topped up to just a couple inches below the bung so I've been making sure that's where I keep them. My plan is to use a jar to set up an overflow to avoid moisture being pulled into the pump. I'll post pics once I get it rigged up. Thanks W&B

choosybeggar said:
So y'all are establishing a vacuum in a glass carboy? Convenient for degassing I bet but if the carboy cracks that's a lot of work on the floor.

Well that's my main concern. I understand that not all glass carboys are created equal. I have some that are over 40 years old from an old water purification company and a few that were manufactured within the past couple years made for winemaking. I just wasn't entirely sure if the rating of 15.75 in. Hg. would be too deep of a vacuum to pull to without having to worry about glass fracturing. I've got access to pressure switches to incorporate. I was looking for input to see what the safest vacuum level would be.

YOu also want to put a filter in-line to help keep vapor from going into your pump, not good for them. WVMJ

Originally Posted by choosybeggar
So y'all are establishing a vacuum in a glass carboy? Convenient for degassing I bet but if the carboy cracks that's a lot of work on the floor.

I've been using the All in One Wine Pump to rack, degass, filter and bottle not only wine, but also beer, I've used it on 50 or more carboys and never had any problems.
And no, I don't own or work for the company, nor do I profit in any way from them, I do however believe in the unit, it has made my beer and wine making much easier!

pumpkinman2012 said:
I've been using the All in One Wine Pump to rack, degass, filter and bottle not only wine, but also beer, I've used it on 50 or more carboys and never had any problems.
And no, I don't own or work for the company, nor do I profit in any way from them, I do however believe in the unit, it has made my beer and wine making much easier!

My concern is that you'll have no problem until you do and then it's months of effort, many $$$, and 5 gallons of vino on the floor. I wouldn't do it. I've tried agitation with a drill mounted device but think the risk of oxidation is significant. If I did it again, I'd use a co2 or N2 tank, or even a dollop of liquid nitrogen to create a blanket of inert gas atop the wine (in a bucket, not a carboy) before doing this again.

Otherwise, merely waiting does the job. Bulk aging is often a good thing anyway. I had a raspberry/blackberry mead aging in my keezer for about 8 months. By the end of that time, it was completely still and totally clear. YMMV

Here's a link to degassing methods: http://winemakersacademy.com/degas-wine/

you'll have no problem until you do
I understand your fear, but I've had absolutely no problem, nor have countless others that use the All In One Wine Pump, it is fast, efficient and makes the whole process much easier.

pumpkinman2012 said:
I understand your fear, but I've had absolutely no problem, nor have countless others that use the All In One Wine Pump, it is fast, efficient and makes the whole process much easier.

Are you sure you're not trying to sell that pump?

Until you use one, you won't ever realize just how easy this device makes wine handling.

I strongly suggest that everyone buy one, but I have zero interest in the company that sells them, excerpt to keep them in business.

DoctorCad, good to see you here.

Sell it? Ah, NO... But I use the living hell outta it. I do not work for or have any financial gain from the pump company.

Why is it as soon as someone talks about a great product, there is always one in the group that thinks that there is some kind of conspiracy?

Do it the hard way or buy something that works well, choice is yours.

pumpkinman2012 said:
DoctorCad, good to see you here. Sell it? Ah, NO... But I use the living hell outta it. I do not work for or have any financial gain from the pump company. Why is it as soon as someone talks about a great product, there is always one in the group that thinks that there is some kind of conspiracy? Do it the hard way or buy something that works well, choice is yours.

Hey, I was kinda joking a little bit back there in that last post! I haven't gotten around to it yet but I'm going to try setting mine up like that. I'll let you know how it comes out!

Latest posts

Back