Window A/C to cool Kegerator vs Walk-in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinfiel

Reaction score
For those who have used a window A/C unit to create a walk-in cooler, how often does the A/C unit run?

I have an old commercial kegerator and I am attempting to use a 5000 btu window A/C unit to replace the cooling unit (similar to what is used for walk-in cooler builds). I have removed the thermostat and have added my own temperature controller.

The A/C unit runs more than it is off (its located outside and the outside temp is almost 90F so that does make it run more). Currently it runs about 3 mins, off about 2 to with temperature set to 40F (dead band at 3F, so turns on at 43F). This is with the unit mostly empty though, so might be better if I get some kegs in there with some more thermal mass.

I'm concerned that the insulation on my unit might not be sufficient to do what I want.

Sounds like it has next to no insulation. I have a ac glycol and that runs for 5-10 minutes every 4-6 hours to keep 10 gallons of water in a Colman cooler at 38f, no more often than every 2 hour if i have 2 5 gal fermenters cooling to 50f. This is indoors. Cycling ever 3 minutes is way too often.

Latest posts

Back