Wilserbrewer BIAB bag as a filter for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youreanimpulse

Reaction score
Just wanted to post some info about my successful attempt to filter my cider with lots of thick apple sediment with my fancy new Wilserbrewer viole BIAB bag (http://biabbags.webs.com/). Still haven't gotten to brew with it, but I'll take it.

I had some apple cider I had juiced at home with our Omega juicer, but the apples were too soft and it came out like applesauce. I fermented it with 3711, and the bottom more than half (~3 gal) was still chunky 3 weeks later while the top had pretty much cleared. I rigged a grant with my bottling bucket and the Wilser bag to transfer the cider to secondary, and managed to save about 2.5 gal of delicious hard cider from the muck, collecting almost 5 gals total. I would definitely use this bag for this purpose again, probably before fermentation next time ;). Works as well as the smaller fine mesh bag for winemaking I got at my LHBS, but is higher quality material and constructed better as well.

When I dealt with heavy fruit residue in my brews, I used a paint strainer bag. Lined the bucket with the bag, poured the whole lot in, and lifted the bag a bit and clamped it in place with the bucket lid.

The lid was able to grip the bag tightly enough to hold it, but still allowed me to come by over the next few hour or days and slide the bag up higher and higher, allowing the liquid to drain off slowly, and the residue to stay in the bag. Eventually I pulled the lid again, and removed the pulp, with a minimal loss of liquid.

Have used this process with both cherries and apple pulp. Works well! certainly less residue in the brew than if I had pressed the fruit through the same filter.

TeeJo

That was basically the process. Line the bucket with the bag, siphon into the bucket, lift the bag to pull out fruit matter. Use some tubing from the spigot on the bucket to fill the better bottle. Just thought I should post that I did so with my viole bag and it worked, in case someone has one and is wondering if it's fine enough mesh.

I used my wilser bags right in my cider press, as a liner, then froze the apple mash in them, and thawed and fermented my "seconds" apple wine right in the bag.

I use them all the time- some for brewing, some for winemaking, some for cider, and the small ones for dryhopping and infusing spices. I love them!

I used my wilser bags right in my cider press, as a liner, then froze the apple mash in them, and thawed and fermented my "seconds" apple wine right in the bag.

I love them!

That is soooo cool!

Back