Willamette recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianHitsCar

Reaction score
My friend from Yakima randomly mailed me a 1/2 lb of Willamette whole leaf. It's only in ZipLoc bags so I figure I better get to brewing ASAP. Anyway, this is what I was thinking:

=All Grain=
6 lb. Pale 2-Row
3 lb. Vienna
1 lb. Crystal 60
0.5 lb. Coffee Malt
0.25 lb. Roasted Barley

1.5 oz. Willamette (60 min)
1.5 oz. Willamette (20 min)
1.0 oz. Willamette ( 2 min)

Yeast - Wyeast 1968 London ESB

The first beer I ever made was a Mountmellick's Export Ale kit. My friends and I decided to name it 'Broadsword Ale' and loved it. I haven't brewed it since the second time, which was just a month after that batch (about 2.5 years ago).

I wanted this to takes it's place as a flavorful, but easy-to-drink ale. Not an actual clone replacement, kind of like Coke 2... but successful.

As they say in the other forum I frequent:
P.E.A.C.H. ("Please evaluate and critique honestly")

Edit: When suggesting additions/modifications, keep in mind I also have about 3 oz. of Palisades whole leaf sitting in my freezer. They've been there since February, but have a much better container.

I'd probably drop the Crystal, Coffee and Barley and just make a Willamette pale ale. It's all a matter of taste, of course, but your hops may get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for the input. You think I should keep the mixture of 2-Row/Vienna or just go ahead and try for a SMaSH? Heading to Brew Store tomorrow.

That recipe would probably turn out to somethign very good, but Willamette is an amazing hop in a simple best bitter or american pale ale. My preference is for english beers, especially with that yeast, but you could brew something like 90% 2-row, 5% Vienna and 5% crystal and have it turn out very good.

Thanks everyone. Heading to brew store today, get one last opinion from LHBS employees and then it's a brew day.

Latest posts

Back