Will using SS kettle to brew before drilling work harden it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aslander

Reaction score
I bought a couple new SS kettles but haven't received my step bit in the mail from China yet. I am planning on brewing today. Could I use my new kettle or would heating it 'work harden' it like I hear about from the drill bits getting too hot.

Also, do I need to condition or do anything special to the SS kettles prior to using the first time?

Using it to brew will not work harden the side of the pot. You don't need to do anything other than wash it, though a lot of people will boil a little water in it first.

Using the pot shouldn't make drilling later any harder.

The kettle may or may not be passivated. You can take some bar keepers friend to it to passivate.

Thanks for the replies! Used one of them to brew a DIPA with 6oz of hops, mostly in hop stand :)

drill very slow with good pressure...I burned up 4 bits almost instantly before learning this and then drilling 6 holes with the same fifth harbor freight step bit with virtually no wear after learning the key was to go very slow and keep the bit lubricated with cutting oil or wd40 at the very least.

Back