Will this work for my BrewBuddy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laminarman

Reaction score
I'm building the Brewbuddy controller 30a 240v from Auberin Instruments. Have to have a GFI 240v outlet. I already have two 240v outlets for my welder and air compressor, don't relish the thought of having an electrician up here again to replace the panel. Having two 240v (on each side of the house) gives me some flexibility in where I brew (3 kettle HERMS is built and on a rolling cart).

If I build a power cord will this work if simply plugged in between the controller and outlet? It would be near the controller out of the weather and not too close to the kettles. I know it's expensive, but the last trip up here with an electrician was $2400. Looking at the 240V 30A manual reset with connectors already in place. Other than this last piece the build is about complete and the money hemorrhaging must stop.

http://www.gfcistore.com/30-amp-inline-gfcis.html

It looks like those GFCIs are similar or a bit higher priced as Spa Panels. Do the 240V versions of the inline ones also protect the 120V line for pumps etc.?

Most electric brewers here use a Spa panel, either hard wired to the panel, or plugged into an existing 240V 30A (or 50A) outlet? That takes care of the GFCI for less than $100, plus the length of cable needed and a plug.
Now 30A is not a real lot of power for a 3 kettle system, although it depends on the size of course. Your welder outlet may be 50A, or higher and more useful?

$2400 for electrical work must have been quite some job! Did he renew/update the whole service? Jeez!

That would work, but is there a reason why you can't put a gfci breaker on your existing circuits in your existing panel?
Good point!
Panel mounted GFCIs tend to be very pricey, often exceeding the Spa panels. But may be similarly priced to the inline ones as linked to, at $150 a pop.

Good point!
Panel mounted GFCIs tend to be very pricey, often exceeding the Spa panels. But may be similarly priced to the inline ones as linked to, at $150 a pop.
The cost may be a wash, but with the breaker in the panel you're getting the added benefit of protection for the welder and the air compressor.

The cost may be a wash, but with the breaker in the panel you're getting the added benefit of protection for the welder and the air compressor.
Absolutely!
Now some equipment doesn't get along well with GFCIs, isn't it? Such as large motors, welders perhaps?

It's only a 5 gallon system. I have to check the welding outlet/amperage. Yeah the $2400 was to put a spa panel for a hot tub and wire a pool house and ground the pool. Still, it was 6 hours work, materials were $1000. He's a friend doing me a favor at $200+ an hour! There is a serious shortage of electricians up here. Now about protecting the pumps, I would guess so since all power comes in to the panel via 240 and pumps plug into the controller? Haven't gotten that far yet, have two Riptides on order now. I THINK he told me any thing else added to the panel I have to add a sub panel (actually a sub sub panel as my sub panel is full already). Big house, not enough wall space for the electric in the small cubby it sits in. The spa panel I bought from the pool place for the hot tub was $150 and it was the hard wired version.

Absolutely!
Now some equipment doesn't get along well with GFCIs, isn't it? Such as large motors, welders perhaps?
I think you're right about that. I use a 240v double pole breaker in my garage for the equipment, so no issue there.

He's a friend doing me a favor at $200+ an hour!
That's some friend! I'm sure you'd hate to know what his regular 'non-friend status' charge would be...

The way the GFCIs work they compare currents in and out, and a large enough difference (but still very small, in the 15-25 mA range) will trip the circuit. So tapping 120V off one of the 240V legs would create an imbalance, unless the neutral is considered in the equation of currents too.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician!

The way the GFCIs work they compare currents in and out, and a large enough difference (but still very small, in the 15-25 mA range) will trip the circuit. So tapping 120V off one of the 240V legs would create an imbalance, unless the neutral is considered in the equation of currents too.
Let me finish my thought...
IIRC, Spa panels protect the 120V taps at the same time as the 240V taps, which makes sense as there is 120V equipment inside a hot tub.
Main/sub panel GFCIs most likely do not, as they don't have access to the Neutral (return current) where they are.

I used a spapanel like this mounted on the wall behind my brewing equipment. no reason you cant build a big extension cord with this inline for gfci protection.. BTW a 50a GFCI breaker still works exactly the same for GFCI protection regardless of amp draw so a 50a panel works well for 30a as long as the service has a 30a breaker in the manin panel feeding it.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=223273714040

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=323298910071

Back