Will this corbonation method work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-pa

Reaction score
I started to carb my first keg (wheat beer)The video from midwest says to use 40 psi for 24 hours then 20 psi for 24 more hours and that will be good. do they mean 40 psi and then unhook the line leave for 24 hours or leave the regulator all hooked up and set at 40 psi for that long .I have not read or herd of anyone else doing it this way. judging by the ways I read that other people do it I would think this would be way over carbed

They mean to have the keg hooked up to the regulator set to 40 psi for one day, bleed the air off and adjust the regulator to 20 psi for 24 more hours. The keg will be hooked up to the CO2 tank the entire time to ensure that the pressure is held at 40 and 20 psi.

I carb mine up by going with 30 psi for 2 days and 20 psi for one. By the 4th day, I just drop the pressure down to 8-10 psi for serving.

You'll see tons of different ways to carb up your beer. Each way works, so just try a few different methods until you find the one you are most comfortable with.

it is easier to do 30psi for 2 days, because you don't have to ajust anything on day2.
I chill my keg overnight befire i begin force carbonating.
I do 30psi for 2 days, then drop to serving pressure for at least 2 days before serving.

If you aren't in a rush, just set it to serving pressure, and leave it for 2-3 weeks.

I just put priming sugar in the keg and when I'm ready to serve its ready to go. The first glass or two are cloudy but after that its clear. This saves a lot of co2. I have been using to same five pounds for about 8 months.

a question with the carbonation charts I keep seeing :It will say at 40 degress to get 3 volumes of co2 go with 18 psi. but how do I know how long to leave it at that pressure to reach the 3 volumes
thanks for the help

a question with the carbonation charts I keep seeing :It will say at 40 degress to get 3 volumes of co2 go with 18 psi. but how do I know how long to leave it at that pressure to reach the 3 volumes
thanks for the help

A week or so ought to do it, but I think a little longer would probably be better. Try pouring one after a week and see how it is, there's no danger of overcarbonation this way. It will just stop absorbing CO2 (unless you up the pressure or drop the temp) and should equalize where the chart indicates.

If you're not in a particular hurry that would be the preferred method IMO.

thanks for the help

It you do the set and forget method of just setting it at 18 psi and leaving it it will take about 2 weeks. How long are your beer lines? I hope you have at least 12 ft or some other method of pressure balancing.

3 volumes is a lot though. I think you will find the beer overcarbed at that pressure. When I want a highly carbed beer I do 2.5 volumes. Normal is 2.

Back