Will these work for a brew stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting to build a metal brew rig. I haven't welded in 30+ years, and don't have a welder anyway. I haven't bought the metal for a stand yet. I can't swing a commercial rig right now. I just saw this shelving on sale, and wondered about using it:

http://menards.inserts2online.com/customer_Frame.jsp?drpStoreID=1 The link only sort of works. The shelves I am looking at are on the top right of page seven. I can't get the link to go right there, and don't know how to copy the ad image in here.

Has anyone used this kind of stuff for a stand? Successfully? I have 20" diameter 25 gallon pots, so was thinking of getting the 30" deep uprights and setting angle iron instead of shelves to hold the pots and burners. I do 10 gallon batches, and may well have 15 gallons at the start of the boil. I want to be sure the steel is up to the load, especially when the burners are going. (I have these burners:http://www.cpapc.com/store/3-Ring-Burner-natural-gas-P2361C244.aspx)

My alternative is a local guy selling 3" x 5/16" angle iron pretty cheaply. The steel would be overkill, but I could get all the length I need for $80. I haven't seen more reasonable steel hit the local ads in quite a while. However, I would be cutting lots of angles with my cutoff saw, and doing lots of drilling and maybe tapping of holes to bolt it all together. That sounds like a lot of work in comparison to snapping shelves in place.

Linky:
http://menards.inserts2online.com/MenardsMenardsHomeImpCatalog/breakouts/b692109_0.jpg

Hmmm, I'd be worried about the structural integrity of those. They need all of the shelves installed to be fairly sturdy, which would likely be in your way as a brewer.

If you can ensure that the shelves are locked in place (ie 2 bolts/connection or welded) it should be able to support the weight, methinks.

Alternatively, talk to your local guy and ask about scrap, or drop, steel. He can probably get it for you at ~25 cents/lb (I can get it for $.17/lb through a friend), as long as you don't need a very specific type.

I think that would work fine. When the shelves are locked into the legs it'll hole quite a bit of weight.

You still may need to install the wood in the shelf for strength, but you can always cut circles out of it for your burners...

I was thinking I would box in the kettles in a sort of H with two cross members (or # without the side arms). I have some 1.5" angle iron I would use for that. I know the angle iron will hold the load, at least cool. I've supported the kettles with these while brewing with heat sticks. My worry is about these shelving unit crosspieces supporting the load if they warm up, since they appear to be from relatively thin formed steel, not the 1/8" thick stuff I see used on many rigs here. If I buy the 24" deep units there would only be 1-2" clearance at the front & back of the kettles. I could get the 30" deep units and have 4-5" clearance if I have to, though that takes away that much more basement. I'm way past my engineering/metallurgy depth here. Actually, I know so little about it I'm hoping metallurgy is the right word!

I'm just tired of tripping over cords, shuffling heat sticks around, inserting and pulling plugs for temperature control, etc. Besides, I have the burners and valves, and easy access to a 1" gas line. I just don't have ready access to a welder.

Back