Will these kegs work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorebrew77

Reaction score
I am pretty new to homebrewing and want to start kegging. I found these kegs, but before I buy them, I want to know if anyone has used this type before. The lid is different than normal and I was worried it might not work for homebrew.

keg1.jpg

keg2.jpg

keg3.jpg

Look like they could be made to work, with some adapting of the fittings.......Do you have more?
Will they be the only kind you use?
Do they have dip tubes in them, ( to get the product from the bottom)?
What came in them originally?

Asking all these questions because commonality in your system, ( and to others systems!), will have a lot of advantages, as in ease of hookup, storage, replacement parts, etc......

How does the physical size relate to a "corny" keg?

Anything can be made to work, but used 5 gallon soda kegs are cheap. If they are 5 gallon, I wouldn't spend money on them. If they are 10 gallon, you may have something worth investing a few bucks into fittings.

See if the lid takes some kind of rubber gasket, and you'll want to replace that right off most likely. Even without a dip tube, you could probably come up with a dip tube by flaring some SS tube. Fittings won't take brain surgery, but IMHO, threaded fittings in the keg add one more place for infection to hide later on. I don't know the feasability of welding onto something that thin if you know someone.

IMHO it seems like it would probably cost more money than they are worth to retrofit. How much are they? You are looking at about 25 bucks each for pin or ball lock posts.

There's also no pressure relief valve which is usually pretty helpful although you could probably drill and install your own that would be an extra cost...

Those are beautiful. Hires used them in the drive ins into the 60's. You added the Hires powder extract then the sugar and topped it off with water. The expense of making them work now would make it not very feasible. As a new homebrewer I would suggest passing. If there is any geek in you though scoop them up.

Thanks for all the information. I haven't seen them in person yet, but they are $20 a piece, so I think I'm going to go for it. Even if I have to put $30 into them for fittings I think I'll be saving money. 5 gallon kegs aren't so easy to come by around here. I would have to order online. The dimensions are 8" diameter and 26" high, so I think they are pretty similar to ball locks. One of them has a dip tube. These will be my first kegs. Whatever fittings I decide on getting, I'll just get the same type when I get more kegs.

Ball locks are becoming harder and harder to find used so if you want to get used ones with the same fittings I would go with pin locks.

They look like dairy jugs. I don't know how easy it would be to get ball lock or pin lock quick-disconnects on them. But for $20 a piece...eh. Give it a shot.

I like they they are sealed from the outside. I think they'd be good for aging wine, so you could always trade/resell them. If shipping wasn't an issue, I'd consider trading you some cornies.

Posts, poppets, and some kind of adapters to fit the keg, a PRV (I would not even think about hooking those up to gas without a PRV) and a step bit to make holes, a round of O-rings...You're looking at a pair of $60+ apiece kegs, and that's if you work for free...

Cheers!

Back