Will the pale ale recipe work for needing the beer in 4 1/2 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am needing to get 5 gallons of pale ale brewed and kegged in about 4 1/2 weeks. Anyone think this recipe below is practical to have ready in such a time? I usually ferment for 3 weeks and then keg condition for 3 weeks before serving to guests. I don't like to rush a beer but recent events put me behind and I want to have a back up keg ready. I already have a yeast starter going. This will be a 30 day turn around and if anyone thinks this won't work out well please let me know. I also will have to use Vienna malt instead of pale malt as the base.

10 lbs pale malt
1/2 lb crystal 60L
1/2 oz simcoe 60 min
1/2 oz pearle 30 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
1 oz cascade 0 min
White labs 001 Calif yeast

Looks simple enough to achieve a quick turn around. Ferment 10 days and check the gravity. If it reach the target gravity go ahead and keg it. Let it condition in the kegs under a blanket of CO2 and force carb/chill it the last few days. Should be good to go.

I was planning on chilling and force carbing it in my keezer at least 2 weeks prior to serving. I usually have 3 weeks to cold condition and force carb but I don't want to serve green beer.

Will the size of the yeast starter and strain (WL001) make any difference in trying to ferment in just 10 days? Would using US-05 dry yeast make any difference comapared to WL001?

Thanks for the reply.

I am needing to get 5 gallons of pale ale brewed and kegged in about 4 1/2 weeks. Anyone think this recipe below is practical to have ready in such a time? I usually ferment for 3 weeks and then keg condition for 3 weeks before serving to guests. I don't like to rush a beer but recent events put me behind and I want to have a back up keg ready. I already have a yeast starter going. This will be a 30 day turn around and if anyone thinks this won't work out well please let me know. I also will have to use Vienna malt instead of pale malt as the base.

10 lbs pale malt

1/2 lb crystal 60L

1/2 oz simcoe 60 min

1/2 oz pearle 30 min

1 oz cascade 5 min

1 oz cascade 0 min

White labs 001 Calif yeast

If you speed carb in your keg and have a healthy and controlled fermentation, then you can have this beer ready to drink in less than two weeks. It will definitely be ready to drink in 4 1/2 weeks, and it will be a lot more clear as well.

WLP001 should be completely done in 9-11 days if you have controlled temps and pitch an adequate and healthy starter.

WLP090 San Dieogo super yeast is supposed to finish a little quicker than the Cali ale.

Latest posts

Back